VOIP doesn't work in BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOIP doesn't work in BF2

My BF2 installation used to handle VOIP just fine, but about a week ago it simply stopped working, and I could use some help figuring out how to fix it.

- I'm running BF2 on Windows XP, all fully patched.

- All audio playback works perfectly fine.

- The voice input test in the Sounds & Audio Devices control panel works just fine.

- In BF2, the setup microphone test doesn't show any signs of hearing me, and nobody hears me in the game when I hold down 'B' and talk (though I see the green icon showing that it's listening).

- I've tried this with a microphone connected to my sound card's mike input, and with a Logitech USB microphone. Same results with either.

- Dxdiag reports no problems, but it only tests playback.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I could diagnose and fix this problem? Where's the BF2 setup file that I can delete and force it to re-create so it recognizes my microphone input?

Also - are there any specific ports that have to be open on the firewall for incoming or outgoing connections for VOIP to work? I can play on network servers just fine with my current firewall settings, and I can hear them talk over VOIP, but they can't hear me.

open the BF2 folder (C:/program files/ bf2/ ...etc.) and click on the VOIP icon and make your settings. you may need to re-install the voip driver portion of BF2. if all else fails get Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

Comment

In the BF2 folder, which VOIP icon do you mean? I've run BF2VoiceSetup.exe and it shows no signs of having heard me at all, even though the Windows XP Sounds & Audio Devices control panel hears me fine.

How do I reinstall just the VOIP part of BF2?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitts View Post
        In the BF2 folder, which VOIP icon do you mean? I've run BF2VoiceSetup.exe and it shows no signs of having heard me at all, even though the Windows XP Sounds & Audio Devices control panel hears me fine.

How do I reinstall just the VOIP part of BF2?
        ok well if the bf2 folder didn't work, then put in your cd and reinstall bf2, when it asks what to install/repair click on the VOIP option. this may fix it. my brother has the same problem but he fixes his and then it works once. with one push of the button and no more. but as i said you might need teamspeak or ventrilo

Comment

I see where to install the VOIP Server, but I don't want the server, just the client part to work.

Teamspeak and Ventrilo aren't good substitutes for me, because I can't get them to broadcast only to the other members of my squad unless I explain to the other players how to do that, and this is impractical on a public server.

Comment

Instead of creating a new post, I figured I'd piggy back on a post of someone having the same problem.

I'm having the same problem as the guy above. I uninstalled "VOIP Dedicated Server" as per above. My mic works fine in TS but BF2 doesn't even make the slightest movement either with the in-game voip set up or the mic setup program.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with latest drivers.

Comment

Can you record using sound recorder?

You could try using Dxdiag to reduce the sound acceleration to basic. BF2 can have problems with sound acceleration.

also set audio render to software and uncheck EAX (if it is checked)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mad_MoShah
                Can you record using sound recorder?

You could try using Dxdiag to reduce the sound acceleration to basic. BF2 can have problems with sound acceleration.

also set audio render to software and uncheck EAX (if it is checked)
                I can record. I shouldn't have to reduce sound acceleration or set audio to software. I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.. not exactly a crappy sound card.

I fixed my problem. I went into my sound settings, under Sound Recording. I found that my default device was my sound card. I also could select Logitec Mic (I have a webcam with integrated mic). I selected the Logitec Mic and it worked again!

Comment

wait how do u get into sound settings
                  ?

Comment

Incidentally, bf2micsetup.exe doesn't seem to work for any vista64 users.

If there are any vista64 users that are able to run this executable and SAVE the mic profile, pls post and let us poor saps know!

Comment

I use Vista 64-bit and have no problems running BF2Voicesetup.exe. Don't know about BF2micsetup.exe - can't find it anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by friguy0 View Post
                        wait how do u get into sound settings
                        ?
                        It's in the options menu.. come on.. load the game and look for it!

Originally posted by Khan613 View Post
                        Incidentally, bf2micsetup.exe doesn't seem to work for any vista64 users.

If there are any vista64 users that are able to run this executable and SAVE the mic profile, pls post and let us poor saps know!
                        Did you try setting it up in-game, under the audio options? It does the same thing. The program to set up your mic outside of BF2 does the same thing as the in-game set up.

Comment

I ended up resolving the problem by doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of Battlefield 2. Then the microphone worked fine again.

Comment

Working...
                          X