Multiplayer crashes on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer crashes on start up

I can play Single Player perfectly fine, but when I try to start multiplayer, the game instantly crashes to the desktop. Help please.

is there any error message.

Comment

Ok, first the picture of the soldier appears and the game loads, then the screen goes back to the desktop and a Window message box appears and says it has no response and is checking for a solution to why it was closed, then it just closes. No error messages.

Comment

BUMP!

Ok, I'm gonna add some pictures to help, but I don't think it'll do much.

I load the game and it shows this:

Whether I click yes or no, game shows the loading picture:

Then the game loads for a second and then it crashes to desktop while Windows tells me the game has crashed and is looking for a solution... which it doesn't.

Please help. One of the main reason I bought Call of Duty 4 is for the multiplayer and it doesn't work.

Comment

First, be 100% sure you've updated your video card drivers. If you don't know how, there are FAQ's on both the ATI and NVidia websites. Once you've updated successfully, restart your PC.

Then, be sure that Punkbuster is updated. To do this, find this file on your PC: pbsetup.exe (it should be in the folder you specified to install Punkbuster to), and run it. Then click "Check for Updates" near the top of the window that opens up.

Next, make a backup save of your Profiles folder on your desktop for later. Then delete the original Profiles folder from within the COD4 directory. Once you've done that, try to run the game in multi-player (this is to test if something in the profiles folder may be corrupt).

If you still can't run the game, try to uninstall COD4, restart your PC, then re-install the game. Then apply patch v1.4 (you can find links to it in the News section).

Then, try to run the game in multi-player, WITHOUT pasting your profile folder back in. If it works, then go ahead and copy that folder back in from your desktop.

If it's still crashing after that, post back and let us know. There are ways to enable error-logging through Windows that might help point to a cause. But try the above steps first.

Comment

Im guessing by the screen resolution that your playing on a laptop.
            Check your graphics card can handle this game,and post the specs of your machine.

Comment

I can play Single Player perfectly fine. When I try to load Multiplayer, then the problem starts.

Whiskey, I tried all your methods and it still doesn't work.

Specs:
              T2300 @ 1.66 GHz
              2GB Ram
              ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
              Windows Vista Ultimate

Comment

Maybe it's something related to the soundcard.
                Do you have a Realtek soundcard?
                My COD did the same, i updated the soundcard drivers and then it worked properly.

Comment

No idea. At dxdiag, it says my sound card is "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)"

Comment

Originally posted by The1_Knightmare View Post
                    No idea. At dxdiag, it says my sound card is "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)"
                    It's on board sound, just wondering what brand/company it is. Then we can point you in the right direction. Who made your laptop?

Comment

Dell

(This post is so short, it makes me feel like I'm spamming)

Comment

Bump

Thread got moved to second page

Comment

Bump again

Wow, thread disappears fast.

Edit: HOLY SH!T. WTF. THIS IS STUPID!

I had my earphones plugged into the computer and I attempted to try CoD4 multiplayer again. And this time, it worked!!! Weird thing was... there was sound coming out of the speakers. I checked and realised I plugged the earphones into the microphone port... so I quitted CoD4, unplugged the earphones and opened CoD4. CRASH! Replugged earphones into microphone port, it works!

Anyway, thanks to those who tried to help me.

Comment

Originally posted by The1_Knightmare
                            Bump again

Wow, thread disappears fast.

Edit: HOLY SH!T. WTF. THIS IS STUPID!

I had my earphones plugged into the computer and I attempted to try CoD4 multiplayer again. And this time, it worked!!! Weird thing was... there was sound coming out of the speakers. I checked and realised I plugged the earphones into the microphone port... so I quitted CoD4, unplugged the earphones and opened CoD4. CRASH! Replugged earphones into microphone port, it works!

Anyway, thanks to those who tried to help me.
                            I noticed the same thing, wtf?

Comment

Working...
                            X