Overall Vista Stability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Vista Stability?

I have intentions of moving my entire Profile folder to my Vista comp, mainly because of the 8800GT it has. I do have concerns, however, that the game might run into Vista related issues.

So my question is, how compatible is this game with Vista, and if you do run the game with Vista, how is it doing for you?

Many thanks.

P.S. I have done a search, no results.

I've got Vista, 2 gigs, 8800GT @ 640 MB, Core Duo 6750. All at max the game runs on avg 60ish FPS in MP. When I put my res on 1024 and AA to 2, the FPS goes to around 100, which is what I keep it at, everything else still being on max, the game did crash about twice on me due to a DX error but I'm not sure if that is vista related or a bug that can happen on XP as well. All in all the game is very stable under Vista on my end at least.

Comment

I havnt had any problems with it... =) All on max and around 60 fps...

Comment

I have vista64 and everythings fine, i did have a few problems with the odd 'hang' but that seems to have sorted its self out now.

Everything on high 1680x1050 and well over 100fps

Comment

32bit Vista Business. No crashes yet

Comment

I have found that most people with Vista problems have all the security stuff on and tight.

You might watch out for that and if you do have problems, tweak it.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I was wondering this same thing b/c my new pc is built, and I'm installling Vista64 and my other software that night. Can I just transfer my profile folder over to the new pc?

And I've heard about the security features causing probs. I'll probably just turn them off. Don't look at pr0n, be careful of the sites you visit and what you download and security isn't quite the same issue. Just marketing fear of what ifs lol. Glad to see such positive feedback above about Vista and this game, woot! :yay:

Comment

I'd recommend moving everything you can over to Vista, no need to delay the inevitable. COD4 runs exceptionally well on Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by JoMaMaz View Post
                  I was wondering this same thing b/c my new pc is built, and I'm installling Vista64 and my other software that night. Can I just transfer my profile folder over to the new pc?
                  Yes, but the directory path for the COD4 Profile folder in Vista will be different. It should be in the sticky thread in the Support section.

To the OP...I don't have Vista, but have read a fair bit on COD4 forums in the past weeks...Vista seems stable. The only issues people are having seem to be related to Vista's Gestapo-like security features, and the different install path it uses for COD4 (again, check that sticky in Support).

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll transfer as soon as I can.

And there's a different directory path for the profile folder on Vista? Which is it?

EDIT: Another thing to add is that I'm using the Steam version of the game, which has only recently been patched to 1.4.

Comment

Originally posted by Micster
                      And there's a different directory path for the profile folder on Vista? Which is it?

EDIT: Another thing to add is that I'm using the Steam version of the game, which has only recently been patched to 1.4.
                      Hmm, Steam AND Vista...that should be interesting. lol

The known pathways are in this thread: http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/ma...d.php?t=136489

Once you re-install the game, check both the Vista and Steam paths, and see which one applies.

Comment

Originally posted by Micster
                        Thanks everyone, I'll transfer as soon as I can.

I'm using steam as well.

My profile dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4\players\profiles

Comment

Steam works without issue on vista ultimate, same with the game i get 100fps+ with full settings @1680*1050

If you have issues just run the multiplayer as administrator

My player profile is under the programfiles\cod4...\ folder i dont see how this is any different to XP ive helped mates with XP issues and their stuff all appears to be the same.

Comment

CoD4 runs like a champ on my Vista Home Premium system. I've only had occasional DirectX/NVIDIA driver crashes about once every two to three days after playing for a couple of hours.

I think the 8-series drivers simply need a little more optimization...

Comment

My bro runs COD on his vista laptop and it runs fine except for some driver errors that I think are caused by his ingame resolution being too low. Otherwise it runs fine. I don't know how much of a performance hit vista takes since it is a laptop, so I can't really compare it to my home PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X