Theoretically, how hard will this be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretically, how hard will this be?

Well, I joined this site because I am a noob. In modding. I play BF2 and occasionally the FH2 mod at my local library, where they have 16 computers connected for LAN. Everyone there is a regular, so we all have complaints and desires for what we would like to see changed. So, how hard would it be for somebody with no modding experience but decent computer skills to do the following:

-Main point: Eliminate Tanks, APCs, Jets, and Attack choppers. Leave all weapon emplacements and transport-oriented vehicles in. Get rid of Anti-Armour class.

-Replace Anti-Armour with a new class:
    "Backup" Armed with a knife and their teams pistol, SMG, shotgun, grenades, and the ammo bag. Or, just the SMG, C4 and the bag.

-Increase accuracy and power of support troops, while setting their health to normal and giving their ammo packs to the AT's replacement class. I have a specific plan in mind for how I want to improve their guns: Since the real RPK74 is basically just an AK47 with additions, the RPK74 in the game should have the same power per a shot and the same accuracy factors as an AK47. Once that is done, I'll figure out how much better the RPK74 is modded than it was unmodded, such as 1.XX times stronger and 1.XX times more accurate. Then I want to take those same numbers and apply them to the other support weapon's power and accuracy. This will make all the MGs equally improved.

WIll this be hard if I try doing it on my own?

eliminating the tanks and apc's and stuff will be harder than accuracy because you need to make the map not load the non-existing vehicle files, the accuracy and damage is easy its called deviation. im not sure how to rename a kit, i dont know what file its in, but you can also eisily change what weapons as long as there not contradicting with other kits.

Comment

-getting rid of the vehicles would be easy, simply edit the GPO's for the various size layers you want no vehicles on.

-removing the AT class would require editing a maps init.con file and replacing the reference to the AT kit with your custom kit

-making your custom kit would be straight forward , just bear in mind that your new kit cant have any conflicting weapon item indexes in regards to the weapons you give it (eg giving it two itemindex 3 items would cause a CTD

-modifying the support's health etc would require either modifying the heavy soldier type or creating your own custom soldier type

-modifying the RPK74 would be a case of modifying the weapons tweak file and finding a balance you like

WIll this be hard if I try doing it on my own?
      not at all.
      although a little time consuming, you should be able to throw it all together in an afternoon/evening.

the BF editor site is a good resource for further information on modding

hope that helps

Comment

^^ He is God.... *Bows to AIX team.

Comment

nah, I'm just a normal bloke
          alot of the changes you want to do are pretty easy and you'll have a quite a bit of fun playing around with the files. Its really satisfying to see an idea working ingame

please tho' ... always backup your files first! I have often fubar'ed my installaition of BF2 by making changes, having it CTD & then forgetting what exactly I changed

have fun

Comment

yea thats happened to me too, but i just copied the entire mod directory to my desktop, and if i changed something and idk what it is ill just take the weapon file or whatever and put it back in. that way you dont have to copy every file

Comment

So in other words you want Call Of Duty.......... With a car or two..... lol nice

Comment

Well ive learned all my modding skills just today ^^
                - to get rid of vehicles just open the map in ur mods\bf2 folder,(eg mods\bf2\Strike_at_karkand), open the .zip file named server, go to the map with the number of players (there will be folders like 16,32,etc) then using notepad (i use conTEXT) open the GamePlayObjects.con , and scroll thro deleting any lines that have: ObjectTemplate.create (there will be some other code in line like SK_SP_market_HeavyTank) at beginning, this will tell the computer NOT to make vehicles in THAT MAP ONLY.
                -u can just change the weapons in AT class if u want; go to mod folder again then open objects server.zip and under kits go to US (or MEC Or both depending if u want them both to have it) and open the .tweak files (there pretty obvious what they are) in Notepad again and scroll down until u see a few lines of code with rem----------------- above and below it with weapon names (one way to check is one name is kni_knife)
                just change this with existing weapon names (like ur ammo kits would be ammokit)
                to find weapons name got back to objects server.zip and look under weapons\handheld
                -to remove ammo packs from support, just erase line with ammokit in it in AT_soldier.tweak in the file mentioned above
                to get more power just change the damage setting (it should be in the weapons\handheld folder under USLMG_M249SAW and....whatever the MEC's gun is)
                in the <insert weapon name here>.tweak file
                i havent found how to change accuracy yet (im doing that right now lol)
                but the guys above sure know

Comment

Saucie, do you know what the word Theoretically means?

Comment

Working...
                  X