PunkBuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PunkBuster

You all know my personal beef with PB, what about yours, how do you feel about it?

what's your beef with it? i've never had a problem with it, well on BF2142 i did

Comment

I just dont think its the best solution to cheats out there, Valve have a much better anti cheat software that never encounters problems, yes its Valves, but surely someone can work off of this.

Why do i need to install crap on my PC that hogs resources when playing, making for worse gameplay?

I have never played a game where PB has worked properly and caught hackers instead of kicking the innocent.

Comment

that's probaly true, i like valve's protection better myself. but i've never really had a problem with PB, bummer you have though

Comment

Im not saying PB is useless as in the past it has proven itself, but its the lack of support between developers and PB that get me. Ok this may not be all PB's fault, but when the developer and third party software are put together in a game, there needs to be communication, which i dont see alot of.

Its easier for valve communicating with VAC because its their own cheat protection.

Comment

oh i agree PB is far from perfect

Comment

I can't remember the last time PB did anything useful. Then again, I still haven't ran into anyone using any sort of hacks yet.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need PB. Then again, in a perfect world, we wouldn't have wars, and thus wouldn't have such games.

Anyway, PB to me is more of a nuisance than any help it has given me, unfortunately.

Comment

I personally don't have anything against PB...

Sure it got on my nerves at bf2142, but in this game i have been kicked only once.

System recourses? At this moment i got PnkbstrA running on the background and it uses half as much memory than the taskmanager...

Hackers? In CoD4 i have ran into one hacker and it was on non pb server... So i don't know about it...

Comment

PB will (probably) never be able to consistently catch the pay-for-hacks type of cheater. They do catch them (in waves) and ban them, but only as they get copies of these hacks and take them apart. The hackers however, just get the newest version and come back. It's an endless cat and mouse cycle.

What PB does an excellent job of though is dissuade "would be" cheaters. Fear of being caught is far more powerful then any actual detection methods PB employs. They quickly detect all the free public hacks, and I'd wager 90% of folks that get banned once, never cheat again.

I agree PB is far from perfect, but I'd rather have it in it's current form, then play without it. If you need more proof, go spend some serious time on non-PB servers in any game of your choice.

Personally, I've played several PB protected games, and had very few problems with them. Maybe once every 3-4 months, and it has always been cleared up within a day.

Comment

Originally posted by cantina_fly
                    *Snip*

I agree PB is far from perfect, but I'd rather have it in it's current form, then play without it. If you need more proof, go spend some serious time on non-PB servers in any game of your choice.

*snip*
                    Agreed 100%...

Comment

punkbuster is better than nothing. How does it hog resources? It takes a whopping 5 megs of memory to run. That is for both A&B services. Maybe if you are running a p2 with 64 megs of ram, but with todays PC's that's a drop in the bucket.

Comment

I have a top end machine and when im playing Punkbuster gives me endless amounts of lag, its ridiculous.

And you say Punkbuster cant catch the hacking sites, am i the only person who thinks its companies like PB who secretly release new hacks to sites such as to keep them in business?

as i said, i have beef with PB.

Comment

PB works most of the time and catches a few hackers.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator View Post
                            I have a top end machine and when im playing Punkbuster gives me endless amounts of lag, its ridiculous.

And you say Punkbuster cant catch the hacking sites, am i the only person who thinks its companies like PB who secretly release new hacks to sites such as to keep them in business?

as i said, i have beef with PB.
                            Maybe something else causes the lag...

I don't have über gaming pc and PB doesn't give me lag at all... Actually i don't even notice that they are running in the background...

Comment

i have thought that it may be something else, but it only ever seem to happen when PB releases an update, i get kicked due to PB then for the rest of the time i get lagged out until another patch is released which either fixes it or makes it worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X