• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's some late night reading you may enjoy

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
    Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

Justin Kruger and David Dunning
    Cornell University

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The
    authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these
    domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make
    unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4
    studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and
    logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the
    12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration
    to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically,
    improving the skills of participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them
    recognize the limitations of their abilities.

http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf

I once wrote about the gross over-estimation exhibited by BF2 players in relation to their ability to properly use air vehicles, and the article above supports the idea. In fact, it goes over how/why most "laypeople" don't possess the level of metacognition required to assess their performance, let alone that of others.

Anyway, if you're even remotely interested in Psychology, this should be an enlightening read for you.

Like Darwin said- ignorance tends to breed more selfconfidence than strenght.

Interesting piece of material, but for those who know how the wheels turn, its nothing new. At the same time, for those who are described in this study, the idea will never be grasped.

Comment

That's right. Funny, isn't it?

Apparently, nature has a sense of humor.

Comment

Sloi do you live in a chopper?

Comment

Post some real science. Good article, anyway. What I don't understand is how ironic their methods are:

Participants. Participants were 65 Cornell University undergraduates
          from a variety of courses in psychology who earned extra credit for their
          participation.
          I thought Cornell was supposed to be one of the best universities in the USA? Meaning, that they don't generally admit dipsticks in the first place?

Originally posted by Mooby McMoob View Post
          :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi View Post
            Apparently, nature has a sense of humor.
            Nature is a sick and twisted joker.

Sloi, "God" = "Nature"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGR4SFOimlk[/media]
            (The above clip is from a R-Rated movie, viewer discretion is advised)

Comment

Originally posted by Mooby McMoob View Post
              Yes. Now let's all circle-jerk each other into blissful abandon.

Originally posted by camperstrike
              What I don't understand is how ironic their methods are:

I thought Cornell was supposed to be one of the best universities in the USA? Meaning, that they don't generally admit dipsticks in the first place?
              GPA != Intelligence

There's obviously an intellectual component, but there are far more important factors at play. The average university grad has an IQ of 110-115... hardly groundbreaking any way you look at it, so I see nothing suspect in their methodology or results.

Even if we were to accept the idea that Cornell students are far more intelligent than other university grads, they're as likely as any other layperson to commit these over-estimations in areas outside of their competence.

It's kind of like having people at different heights of a ladder against a fence, and asking each of them to describe the view in front: only some of the top most will be able to accurately see everything in front, with others being hindered one way or another.

Another way to look at it is by imagining different levels of a pyramid: if you're at the base, you know nothing else of it. Higher areas are aware of everything at the bottom, so only some of the topmost levels have a complete or near-complete view of everything and all that jazz... I'm sure you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
                Nature is a sick and twisted joker.

Sloi, "God" = "Nature"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGR4SFOimlk[/media]
                (The above clip is from a R-Rated movie, viewer discretion is advised)
                Awesome scene in an awesome movie. I've read that Pacino ad libbed most of that monologue. I wonder how much of it parallels his own beliefs?

Comment

Working...
                X