people and ping???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people and ping???

Ok i have noticed NO MATTER what server i join (pc) About 3/4 of the people there have ping over 100 (most in 150-200 rang)

mine will be at around 50-80 depending on what server i go in.

now i want to know what makes people join servers that are not by them?? when i look for a server i let the list load for a good amount of time then i organize it so the lower ping servers are on top then i choose so i know ill have a good lag free time. but its kinda pointless now because when i join the server i have to play with people that have HIGH ping so when i try to shoot them sometimes they jerk around the map slightly

honestly im getting sick of it. you would think if you live on the east cost you would try to play on a server thats on the east cost not on the west cost .......

well thats enough of my rant

discus

I think the numbers we see labeled as "Ping" are fictional... there's no way they could be accurate. IW's got an issue to give some love to.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel
      I think the numbers we see labeled as "Ping" are fictional... there's no way they could be accurate. IW's got an issue to give some love to.
      No, they're close. Not exactly what that player sees, but it's close.

Comment

yes they are close.. I dont get that myself.. there are alot of noobs in this game i guess cuz in css no one ever has anything over 150.. i avg a ping of about 90 but in cod4 it is about 110 for some reason I live in hawaii so I can only play in cali servers.. but anyone that has a ping higher then 150 is just way to bad.. and when doing a scrim 20ms can be the diff from getting a kill or not.. the servers need some kind of ping limit cuz in bf2 and css if you have a avg ping higher then 150 or 200 you will get kicked.. high pingers just make it laggy for the rest of us..

Comment

In this game it's hard to hit anything with sniper if your ping is over 150...

When i played Swat, i was in clan what was located in US.. I had to play constantly with 130+ ping... But i got used to it kinda quick..

But in this game it's all different, IMO there is no way for you to adjust your gamingstyle with the lag/ping...

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
            No, they're close. Not exactly what that player sees, but it's close.
            The pings in this game are not even close to real world pings.

Don't believe me? Make note of your ping in a server, write down IP the address and ping it in command prompt later.

As an example, I ping about 67ms to our server (66.135.51.240) in command prompt (Start > Run > type "cmd" > hit ok >ping -n 25 66.135.51.240). In BF2 and TF2 (servers all run on the same machine) that number varies between 60 and 80ms.

In CoD4 that number is 100-140ms. Every single one of my clan members has the same problem with inflated pings in our CoD4 server.

BTW, this is from Virginia to Texas with Comcast cable. I used to ping 107 from Virginia to Los Angeles running slow Verizon DSL.

Another example, I was playing on a Seattle server where my ping was 150ms. My ping to EU servers is 150ms in other games, but in this game I can't even get across the US.

IW has 2 very serious flaws to fix. First, the server browser is a waste of space that doesn't list servers at all. Mine never, ever show up....EVER. Second, their method of calculating a player's ping is totally fubar'ed. They need to fix it ASAP b/c nobody wants to play with a high ping.

Comment

maybe cod4 is not showing ping its showing latency

Comment

Ive noticed that people with a higher ping like to use this as an excuse when they're not doing so well. The fact is in this game the pings not so important, just like cod2. I like to play on an american server (im from the uk) and i get around a 180 ping! Theres a slight difference, and i mean a slight one, but nothing that effects the game so badly i dont play as well. From my experience with this game, anything under a 200 ping is fine and hardly effects the game. The people with a 300+ ping, now thats a different story...

The reason i play on an american server is becasue i used to be in their clan, and i like the way the servers set up

Comment

I find that ping does make a significant difference.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone toe to toe with someone firing full auto at close range and lost. In the kill cam it will show me firing maybe 3 or 4 shots while the other guy destroys me. The reason I lose and he wins has to be that the packets containing the rest of my shooting didn't get to the server before the other player's packets IMO. That's the only explanation I can really come up with.

And good call about the display possibly being latency. I will turn down my graphics settings and see if things improve.

*edit*

Framerate directly impacts the diplayed "ping" value. By turning my graphics down and getting about 90fps I lowered my "ping" in-game to 85-95ms. This can only mean that the game displays latency rather than ping. Disappointing since most people won't know the difference and they will just decide that the server they're playing on sucks. IW definitely should have displayed ping so IMO this qualifies as a flaw that needs fixing ASAP.

Comment

COD 4 shows my ping about double what it really is. I run several servers on a dedicated box in VA. From NJ, I average about 20 - 25 ping on my servers. On my COD 4 server my ping usually shows 40 - 60.

Comment

I think CoD4 is showing your latency and not your ping and that's why it's so much higher.

Comment

Working...
                      X