Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Upgrade?! Thoughts appreciated

Hello All,

I was wondering about possible cost efficient upgrades that I could make to my PC to smooth out my online gameplay.

My current specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo @2.13ghz
    500gb Hds in Raid
    Nvidia 7900gs
    1gb Ram
    Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard

I was wondering if adding another GB of ram would make a noticeable difference. I would ideally upgrade the processor however I have a Dell and it would be a major hastle.

Thanks

Yes, 2GB makes a great change.

Also, try to get a 8800GT if you can..........

Comment

definately pick up another gig of ram; you'll never be the same.

Comment

Well I'm concerned that my cpu will bottleneck the graphics card if I chose to get an 8800GT so I'm hesitant to do so. But an extra GB of ram would be worthwhile? Any other opinions! (I'm pretty much concerned that its my cpu that is causing the majority of slowdown as opposed to other things.)

But then again I'm not necessarily that knowledgable on this stuff.

Thanks homies.

Comment

i think you only need to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram and as people have said get an 8800GTX.

RAM is VERY worthwhile.

Comment

2g or ram will do absolute wonders

Anyway id wait a few months for the new nivida 9 series to come out and the 8800 GTX will drop in price drastically and then im going to pick one up... Should last be for abit

Comment

Which cpu do you have? The E2160? E2180? why would it be hassle changing the cpu as its a dell? What motherboard is it?

Also if your gonna upgrade the graphics card you might have to upgrade your psu

Comment

Well, that CPU is okay, would be very good overclocked, but as it's a Dell, that's not going to happen.

As for upgrades, i would suggest another 1gb of RAM and a new 8800gt is possible.

Comment

extra ram never hurts

Comment

You dont need a sound card on-board sound is good enoug yourl do better spending ur money on a better gfx card or anotehr stick of RAM

Comment

Definitely bump your RAM up to 2GB. Unless you have a 64-bit Operating System, going up higher than that really won't have much effect. RAM is relatively cheap these days, so it's a good idea to upgrade now.

After that, your vid card is probably the next upgrade to consider, and then the processor.

Comment

Those are his current specs, not what he is going to buy.

Comment

I don't know whether its an E2160 or E2180...I got it about a year ago if that helps and I believe that FSB is 800... Also I assume the motherboard is some generic dell stuff and nothing specific.

I don't think I will get an 8800 quite yet as that might be a little more than I want to spend, and I think the CPU might bottleneck it, but I will grab some ram.

Someone slap me and tell me my processor wont bottleneck a higherend card and maybe I'll get one of those too.

Thanks

Comment

Definetly start with another Gb of RAM..

Aren't those 8800GT's bit hard to find? Or that's what i have read earlier...

Comment

Working...
                            X