call for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• call for help

ever wonder what those pb services that run all the time are up to?
    :shakehead

lets find out. :wall:

anyone has some free time and has experience with ethereal/wireshark or similar software or with file or win32 dll monitor software to see what is going on behind the scenes and would like to help?

if so send me private message and lets see where the yellow brick road goes :yay:

They're spying on you! And eating your memory...

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
      They're spying on you!
      so are our beloved leaders.

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
      And eating your memory...
      and worse of all slowing down my computer and causing the lag, the terrible lag, that keeps getting me killed.

Comment

and not to mention they give me "service restriction" errors half the time, forcing me to reboot my comp ><

Comment

Originally posted by goya View Post
          so are our beloved leaders.

and worse of all slowing down my computer and causing the lag, the terrible lag, that keeps getting me killed.

both pb services take like 5 megs of memory. hardly a resource eater!

Comment

Originally posted by Killerus View Post
            what about the lag the terrible lag and not to mention the fact that they are always running. why do they need to be always running. why not start them when game starts and end them when game ands and check for update inbetween games.

Comment

Originally posted by goya View Post
              what about the lag the terrible lag and not to mention the fact that they are always running. why do they need to be always running. why not start them when game starts and end them when game ands and check for update inbetween games.
              what lag are you speaking of? There are a ton of reasons for lag. Could be your pc, internet connection, poor server performance, spyware and so on. I have never had any lag from PB at anytime. If it bothers you that they run all the time just turn off in the taskmanager.

Comment

hmmm the only thing that bugs me is that they start with your comp. if you manually end the process, you need to reboot your computer to play 2142.

Comment

is it possible to kill the proces and restart it with windows( dont know the name but i think its execute. in windows xp is it just beneath search or use taskmanager)

Comment

i've killed the process tons of times for other stuff, but i always forget to find the root address of the .exe and cant restart it =\

Comment

Originally posted by dontsh000t View Post
                      i've killed the process tons of times for other stuff, but i always forget to find the root address of the .exe and cant restart it =\
                      For XP, right click My Computer-Manage-Services or Run-services.msc, then set the PnkBstrA service to manual then hit apply. It won't start with Windows in the future but you will have to go through the same process (pardon the pun ) to start the service whenever you want to play (Run-services.msc, highlight PnkBstrA then hit Start).

Originally posted by Killerus View Post
                      Ah, but they contain hidden code to only report low resource usage only when you actually check. At all other times they secretly use all of your system's resources, rename all of your pr0n, run up massive phone bills, try to sleep with your sister and report all your online activity to the Government! :foilhat:

Comment

Well I dont know if this is useful, but it easy enough to see what it is loading:
                        PnkBstrA.exe:
                        Dlls loaded
                        Code:
                        Name	Description	Company Name	Version
                        advapi32.dll	Avanceret Windows 32 Base-API	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        comctl32.dll	User Experience Controls Library	Microsoft Corporation	6.00.2900.2982
                        comctl32.dll	Common Controls Library	Microsoft Corporation	5.82.2900.2982
                        crypt32.dll	Crypto API32	Microsoft Corporation	5.131.2600.2180
                        ctype.nls			
                        gdi32.dll	GDI Client DLL	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.3159
                        hnetcfg.dll	Konfigurationsstyring til Hjemmenetværk	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        imagehlp.dll	Windows NT Image Helper	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        imm32.dll	Windows XP IMM32 API Client DLL	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        kernel32.dll	Klient-DLL til Windows NT BASE API	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.3119
                        locale.nls			
                        msasn1.dll	ASN.1 Runtime APIs	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        msvcrt.dll	Windows NT CRT DLL	Microsoft Corporation	7.00.2600.2180
                        mswsock.dll	Microsoft Windows Sockets 2.0-tjenesteudbyder	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        ntdll.dll	DLL til NT-lag	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        PnkBstrA.exe			
                        rpcrt4.dll	Remote Procedure Call Runtime	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.3173
                        secur32.dll	Security Support Provider Interface	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        shell32.dll	Dll-fil med fælles dialogbokse til brugergrænsefladen i Windows	Microsoft Corporation	6.00.2900.3241
                        shlwapi.dll	Shells letvægts-programmappe	Microsoft Corporation	6.00.2900.3199
                        sortkey.nls			
                        sorttbls.nls			
                        unicode.nls			
                        user32.dll	Windows XP BRUGER API Klient	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.3099
                        wintrust.dll	Microsoft API'er til tillidsbekræftelse	Microsoft Corporation	5.131.2600.2180
                        ws2_32.dll	Windows Socket 2.0 32-Bit DLL	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        ws2help.dll	Windows Socket 2.0-hjælper til Windows NT	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        wshtcpip.dll	Windows Sockets Helper DLL	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        wsock32.dll	DLL-fil til Windows Socket 32-Bit	Microsoft Corporation	5.01.2600.2180
                        Handles
                        Code:
                        Type	Name
                        Desktop	\Default
                        Directory	\Windows
                        Directory	\BaseNamedObjects
                        Directory	\KnownDlls
                        Event	\BaseNamedObjects\crypt32LogoffEvent
                        File	D:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2982_x-ww_ac3f9c03
                        File	\Device\NamedPipe\net\NtControlPipe15
                        File	\Device\KsecDD
                        File	\Device\Udp
                        File	\Device\Afd\Endpoint
                        File	D:\WINDOWS\system32
                        Key	HKLM
                        Key	HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9
                        Key	HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5
                        Key	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Even Balance\PnkBstrA
                        KeyedEvent	\KernelObjects\CritSecOutOfMemoryEvent
                        Semaphore	\BaseNamedObjects\shell.{A48F1A32-A340-11D1-BC6B-00A0C90312E1}
                        Semaphore	\BaseNamedObjects\shell.{210A4BA0-3AEA-1069-A2D9-08002B30309D}
                        Thread	PnkBstrA.exe(712): 816
                        Thread	PnkBstrA.exe(712): 820
                        Thread	PnkBstrA.exe(712): 820
                        Token	NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
                        WindowStation	\Windows\WindowStations\Service-0x0-3e7$
                        WindowStation	\Windows\WindowStations\Service-0x0-3e7$

Comment

Working...
                        X