please help!~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help!~

Hello. I currently built a system with the above parts ordered. I kept the same hard drive, power supply, and cd/dvd drive. I am trying to reinstall windows XP and I get the following error:
    File ____ was not found. The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid win xp system image"
    I have tried removing the RAM one by one to determine if one ram is faulty. The error still occurs. I have tried a different hard drive, and the error still occurs. I thought maybe it was a the power supply, but I put my old 6600 in, and the error still occurs.

XFX GeForce 8800GT XT 512MB 640MHZ 1.9GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Brisbane 2.5GHZ 2X512KB 65NM 65W Retail Box

Biostar NF4UAM2G ATX AM2 DDR2 NF4ULTRA 1PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 4PCI SATA2 Sound LAN Motherboard

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory

Might be your MoBo, sometimes they are just tooo fussy about what you connect to them. When I upgraded mine (long time ago) it wouldn't recognise my HD and had to wipe it n totally reinstall it. That might be your prob, check your MoBo manufacture website and see if they have forums. Someone else may have had a prob like that or there might be a fix for it on the site, maybe upgrade for the BIOS.

I'm no expert!

Comment

Are you installing XP from a CD? Or from an image on your hard drive that came with your computer? Are you attempting to install a "recovery" version from your previous system?

If you are using a retail copy and still getting errors, it looks like your installation files are corrupted. Try using a different CD drive or XP CD if that is the case. I don't see how any other system component would cause missing system files. There is a known issue with XP SP2 refusing to install on older computers without a BIOS upgrade, but that should not be the case with a new system.

Comment

Originally posted by wtrtwnguy
        Are you installing XP from a CD? Or from an image on your hard drive that came with your computer? Are you attempting to install a "recovery" version from your previous system?

If you are using a retail copy and still getting errors, it looks like your installation files are corrupted. Try using a different CD drive or XP CD if that is the case. I don't see how any other system component would cause missing system files. There is a known issue with XP SP2 refusing to install on older computers without a BIOS upgrade, but that should not be the case with a new system.
        Got it. I had a jumper setting wrong on my board.
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X