Black screen vista crash error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black screen vista crash error message

It says BF2142.exe has stopped working. windows is looking for a solution to the problem.

I am running it as admin. I have no punkbuster or patches or anything yet. I need to know what to do first. and dont send me off to another forum, because i get lost there.

I would be in so much appreciation if you could help me out. Spending money on a game then returning it, getting it again and re installing and it still doesnt work is a pain.

please help!! :cry:

EDIT: I have vista! (home premium) i think 64 bit. anyway i can check?

EDIT2: my video card is lower than the required, but my cpu/etc is fine. is this the problem?

anyone out there? i need some help. im all new to this

please help !!

I'm having exactly the same problem. Just installed BF2142 on a new system running Vista Business 64 bit.

I can log in but when i try to start a game it crashes to desktop with the exact error message above.

I have seen people saying that there are errors with the 8800GTX and X-Fi extremegamer so maybe i'm getting it for a different reason.

Some help would be appreciated!

UPDATE: Thought I would try fiddling with my audio and graphics setting and the game crashed when i clicked on options so its not necesarily something to do with loading maps.

Comment

Vista Ultimate x64 here, same issue with not even getting to the first intro video before a crash to desktop with the "BF2142pace.exe has stopped working" message.

I've uninstalled everything and cleared out all of the profile, cache, and even registry entries for the game. Reinstalled the main game, updated to 1.4, installed NS, updated with 1.4 again... still got the error.

I was also running the game on this same OS install before with absolutely no problems. It's been a few months since I've played.

I'm also thinking this is a directx error of some sort, but not sure how to figure it out and fix it.

Comment

same thing happening here

Comment

Fix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a fix for this.

While going through my settings files I noticed that the game was set to video resolutions outside my computers parameters. I have no idea how this happened or if it was caused by the patch.

Anyway - here's how to fix it :-

goto
          [User name]\Documents\Battlefield 2142\Profiles\Default\

open video.con in notepad

change the line to:-
          VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60hz
          save the file

Game should work - hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by rumple9 View Post
            I got a fix for this.

While going through my settings files I noticed that the game was set to video resolutions outside my computers parameters. I have no idea how this happened or if it was caused by the patch.

Anyway - here's how to fix it :-

goto
            [User name]\Documents\Battlefield 2142\Profiles\Default\

open video.con in notepad

change the line to:-
            VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60hz
            save the file

Game should work - hope this helps
            This works. You deserve a medal.

I suspect it has to do with the hz number at the end of the line, there. If you're running an LCD monitor, 75hz probably isn't your refresh rate (which is what that number stands for)...60hz would most likely be.

edit: no, because trying 1680x1050@60hz in there didn't work... but using the -szx 1680 and -szy 1050 on a shortcut with 800x600@60hz let me play with 1680x1050 resolution. Go figure.

Comment

no it wasnt to do with the Hz refresh rate - I noticed the video resolution settings had somehow been changed to a resolution which was not supported by my geforce 8800 graphics card, so I just changed it to 800x600 in video.con, then manually put all the gfx settings to max once I got into the game

Comment

Working...
              X