Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOBO/GPU question

Alright I am considering basing my build off of this cpu:
    Buy Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Core 2 Quad Kentsfield Quad-Core 2.4 GHz LGA 775 105W Processor - BX80562Q6600 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I just would like to know what your thoughts on it are, for that price, since it just fits my budget. Also, What is the best mobo to use for this, and what GPU's should i consider (Price range for graphics card is 150-250. anything over I will look into.) I plan on adding at LEAST 2GB of ram, I will handle the ram portion myself though.

if u can spend 250 for a gpu, id go for a 8800gt

Comment

I always liked to look at these things as: what can I get now?...and what can I upgrade to later?

For that Quad CPU, you of course need a board with the LGA 775 Socket. Asus makes a line of them that are great. I bought a P5N32-E SLI 680i because it is the same board as a Striker Extreme, less a few bells and whistles, but the exact same performance (a little over $200). That was 6 months ago, and new boards have come out since then, so you need to research a bit.

About GPUs ...The 8800 GT is new, but I have heard some very good things about it, and for sure you should get a 8800 series of some kind. I bought a GTS (320)(a little over $300), but like I said, for future upgrades, I will be getting a second for SLI. Alot depends on 'when' you want to upgrade, get the best you can if you want your system to last awhile, OR, get what you can afford if you know you will be upgrading later.

Comment

The Quad + 8800GT sounds like a good combo. The fastest Intel chipset would be the X38. Supports PCI-E 2.0, DDR2&3 memory & 1333/1600 FSB. In terms of upgradeability that would be my choice.
        Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

Comment

the link isn't working for me for some reason... oh well. i am assuming you are getting an intel q6600? thats what I just got. my motherboard is an abit ip35 pro and my graphics card is an 8800gt. the pcie 1.0 is forwards compatible.

Comment

Working...
          X