Accuracy Verse Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy Verse Range

What is the difference between how accuracy and range are implemented/executed?

To make the question seem like a question, take the ak verse the m4.

The ak has less accuracy but same range, so how does that translate in-game? Is it more recoil? If so, how would a range difference between two guns, say a mp5 verse p90 be shown? Is it more recoil as well or is the game programmed to decrease bullet damage over distance, or is there bullet drop?

This is a best guess based on what I've seen.

There is no "recoil" like you're used to. It's not something you can correct for. I was doing very poorly with the AK at first because I was trying to use it like the Baur (2142) where I would aim low and let recoil "walk" my shots up. As soon as I started just keeping my x-hair over the target, things got much better.

Range is just how far away you can hit a target. Accuracy is how much random deviation gets applied to each shot. "Cone of Fire" in BF speak. I believe, the further the shot, the more deviation based on this model. Hence why the M4 was very accurate at range, but the AK was very hit-and-miss at long range.

Recoil and deviation appears to have a cap though, at least judging by my time with the AK and RPD. You can hold the trigger down on the RPD though your whole mag and the gun doesn't jump all over the screen like you'd expect. It jumps around, but after the first dozen rounds it's very predictable. Not recommended for shooting at anything but a helicopter though.

I only have ~23hrs under my belt so far and these are observations off the top of my head. This is definitely a subject that could use some more analytical analysis.

Comment

I've noticed similar things, and I played 2142 as well that was a good point you brought up.

Comment

I think the stats are pretty much just for show. The range is the same for all weapons in the same class except SMGs. Accuracy I think just deals with recoil and firing from the hip. Nearly all weapons are going to be extremely accurate in CoD when ADS.

Comment

Well, the obvious point is that Accuracy is hitting the mark and Range is how far downrange your bullet travels while still ballistic (meaning without encountering another object and reflecting).

I'm pretty sure that a P90 is affected by bullet travel distance and the round does less damage beyond the "effective range". Accuracy involves repeatibility, meaning if your first shot hits the mark but the second and third are progressively further away, the weapon has low accuracy.

The AK47 packs a punch, has a good range but is inaccurate. The rounds can travel downrange and come close to the target, but only a small percentile strike the hitbox.

The M16A4 has less of a punch and range (5.56 vs 7.62 round), but more of its rounds hit the target. The burst fire mode means that deviation does not have a pronounced effect on it because each burst starts a new shot group. The first round should be spot on and the next two should be very close. This is very effective during combat as most targets are not stationary.

:ar15:

Comment

Working...
          X