Skins work on ranked servers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skins work on ranked servers.

For those of you that don't know what skins are, they're basically just a different texture for your gun (like a camo scheme). In past CoD's you couldn't use custom skins on pure servers (i.e., everybody is running the same mod or vanilla), but it looks like in CoD4 you can use them anywhere.

These are the only ones I know of right now:

Not the best skins IMO (though I liked most of Buckdich's CoD2 skins), but I'm looking forward to some cool ones.

I haven't been able to get a response from anybody online if they see my custom skin when they pick up my MP5. Does anybody know if they would?

I don't think other see your custom skin... it's just for your self gratification.

Feeling gratified? Nope? Must need a new skin... lolz

Comment

Depends on how it works, there have been tons of games with portions being able to be player customized and other online players could see it.

hope it works, though I could see it being more for unranked servers. depending on how "pure" IW wants to keep ranked servers. At the moment they haven't DE-ranked 50 player servers so I'll take it as a sign of them not being totally tight.

I actually think the skins are decent, especially the first one, especially for the mid east maps, Bog especially.

Comment

I want realism sound mods. Don't really care too much about skins (unless it's a really good skin).

Comment

think he'll come out with a G3 skin?

Comment

I want a nice M16 "dirty" skin!

Comment

Cheat skins will be out in a no time I guess. I hope server admins can still choose if they want the server to be pure or not.

Comment

There's a server variable to allow players to upload stuff. I'm guessing just turn that off and players won't be able to make the rest of the server see them differently.

Comment

But I can still make everyone else seem different to me. A few glow skins in Ps and other programs= no hiding from me. That`s what has been done in all MP games (mostly CS).
                  If CoD4 admins can set servers to pure (god I hope they can) then noones skins would work, even the ones that only you see= all content that is unofficial will be checked before joining the server and then turned off.
                  Atm it seems ranked servers allow you to enter them with your own mods. Wouldn`t be suprised if people replaced their silencer sounds with regular ones just to hear em better.
                  To be honest, I`m tempted to do some modding myself now.

Comment

I loved CS:S Skins, but people used them for evil at times: Red dot on the scout so you could noscope with 100% accuracy, but skill still prevailed 99% of the time.

Looking forward to more, maybe we can get a site up for skins? Similar to fpsbanana.com

Still though, modding your guns to give you an advantage (glowing, etc) normally only appeals to the hacker/pre-hacker type, so it wouldn't be a drastic change.

Comment

Not a modder, but I'm guessing you have to replace the default skins with your custom ones. So when someone picks up your MP5, there system says, "load skin A" which for our purposes will be the default. His system is going to load his local copy of the texture, not your modded one.

And yes, sniper rifles with bright pink skins might be annoying, but I'd be more worried about people who do it for whole player models (think chams.)

All moot of course if there is an option to lock down a server.

Comment

Some MD5 checksums through PB should take care of this problem, if it arises.

Of course not every server will take the time to set it up, but it seems like a very easy way to prevent this kind of "customization" and keep servers pure with or without any support from the developers. It's a built in function of PB so it'll work independent of anything IW/Activision do.

Comment

Originally posted by [MBMG] Aerialz View Post
                          I loved CS:S Skins, but people used them for evil at times: Red dot on the scout so you could noscope with 100% accuracy, but skill still prevailed 99% of the time.

Looking forward to more, maybe we can get a site up for skins? Similar to fpsbanana.com

Still though, modding your guns to give you an advantage (glowing, etc) normally only appeals to the hacker/pre-hacker type, so it wouldn't be a drastic change.
                          Yeah, I skinned everything in CS:S like mad. Entering CAL made me take them all away, but CoD4 will be a great game for them I bet.

I really hope most servers allow skins, the majority of people use fair ones that just look cool/real. Especially sounds, as was posted above.

The biggest problem with making a game moddable is not dividing the community, requiring both servers and clients to both having the same files does exactly that. Allowing the client to have different skins and sounds without the server having them as well is one of the key features of a moddable game, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X