Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cod4 and a new os

Quick question.

I have a copy of windows vista that I want to install on my cpu. However, someone told me that the stats for cod4 are stored on the client computer. So If I install a new os, does that mean I lose my cod4 stats, rank, and toys? Is there a way to get around this? 14 hours isn't much, but still, I worked for it. Thanks.

I'm afraid so I went to reformat yesterday and now I'm just a private again lol...

Comment

Originally posted by 270Matt View Post
      I have a copy of windows vista that I want to install on my cpu. However, someone told me that the stats for cod4 are stored on the client computer. So If I install a new os, does that mean I lose my cod4 stats, rank, and toys? Is there a way to get around this?
      Yes, stats are stored locally in a file called "mpdata" on your hard drive. Yes, you should be able to continue your current progress...

- Make a backup save of the "mpdata" file on a flashdrive, on disc, or email it to yourself to temporarily store it electronically.
      - Install Vista.
      - Re-install COD4.
      - Play a bit of multiplayer for the game to create the proper folders and such for you.
      - Find where the new "mpdata" file is located on your PC.
      - Copy/paste the old "mpdata" file over the new one. This should allow you to pick up where you left off before.

Good luck.

Comment

Sup 270Matt. Miss them days of pwninging 2142..

Comment

Thanks Whiskey, will try that one. What up Grunt, how's if feeling being a TGL bigwig? Anyone try to bribe ya yet,lol. Hope you are well. Stay in touch. Peace

Comment

This is complete bs. Saved my mpdata, loaded up vista, but surprise, no profile folder to place my old data into. That's right, Windows Vista stores it somewheres else. I checked the readme file, and it appears to be related to some new security feature for vista, to prevent theft of program info for users. Something about missions, and I am presuming my mpdata, are stored at some Virtual store. Does anyone know how to crack this mess?

There are going to be a lot of unhappy gamers out there when they figure out you can't upgrade to vista without losing all your progress in cod4. This is no fun, I am totally disappointed/pissed off at Activision for creating a time sensitive game with no way to upgrade to vista. Help anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by 270Matt
              This is complete bs. Saved my mpdata, loaded up vista, but surprise, no profile folder to place my old data into. That's right, Windows Vista stores it somewheres else. I checked the readme file, and it appears to be related to some new security feature for vista, to prevent theft of program info for users. Something about missions, and I am presuming my mpdata, are stored at some Virtual store. Does anyone know how to crack this mess?

There are going to be a lot of unhappy gamers out there when they figure out you can't upgrade to vista without losing all your progress in cod4. This is no fun, I am totally disappointed/pissed off at Activision for creating a time sensitive game with no way to upgrade to vista. Help anyone?
              Instead of getting all worked-up and bent-out-of-shape, you could've just asked nicely.

For Vista, it's located here...just copy & paste it over.

<drive name>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore \Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles\<your profile name>

Comment

Ya I got my panties all knotted up last night, that's for sure. I was angry all right. Sht happens. My apologies for breathing fire.

I found the profile folder by turning off user account stuff, and searching the hidden files.

When I copy and pasted my mpdata in the file, system crashed. I started up game in safe mod, but no data was there at all. Looking over Whiskeys original instructions and other posts, think I screwed myself by doing a simple copy of the original mpdata file on XP. I don't know how to make a "back up" file for mpdata.

The only file I have is a mpdata on a disk that I plucked out the game running xp. It's about 8mb file. Think that's not the right file.

It's a hard world in Cod4 land. Very hard starting over going up against double tap, etc..

Comment

Working...
                X