mobile gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile gaming

I was wondering if bf2 is playable over a public wifi or cellular modem. I drive a truck and have a 3hr layover every night. There is a couple places where i can get a decent signal but my current laptop isn't good for gaming, so I was wondering before i get a new laptop or make my desktop portable if either public wifi or a cell modem would be playable.

Whypped:salute:

Playable but not a great idea. If you do, make sure to use the wireless driver tool from the manufacturer, not Windows's wireless utility service which causes a ****load of problems. Disable the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service (google it for more info) then install manufacturer's drivers or whatever.

I don't think using a mobile phone would be good at all, they're limited in bandwidth and BF2 needs at the very least, 256kbps. If your connection can do about 40KB per second (kilobytes) then it'll be fine as long as nothing is using bandwidth in the background.

Comment

Wi-Fi should work although cellular might be too slow. The problem with wireless though is that many times the connection drops for a fraction of a second periodically. You might not notice in normal browsing (or even some other games) but BF2 seems to be very sensitive to that. There have been many threads on BF2 over wireless; you should do a search. I used to lose my connection every time someone used a microwave nearby when I was on a wireless LAN.

Comment

to test ur internet u can try http://www.speedtest.net im guessing cellular is too slow but its worth a shot

Comment

Also keep in mind that bandwidth/maxspeed is not the same as latency/ping. For example, satellite connections sometimes have good max download speeds, but terrible ping times, making online games nearly unplayable.

Comment

Working...
          X