BF2 Crash to desktop vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Crash to desktop vista

Hi guys, bought an Insiron 1520 laptop with windows vista home premium installed from Dell, that arrived monday morning. Topped up to the latest drivers for everything, and started installing games, including bf2 fully patched with expansions. Now I have got round to trying them, and BF2 is a no-go. When I double click the executable, the screen shows the bf2 logo that comes up, then the screen changes resolution ans goes black like you would expect it to before showing the game videos, then bam.... The game crashes to desktop without a trace of it left running.

Nothing is overclocked (never has been either), tried rolling back device drivers to previous versions which did not change the situation, tried compatibility mode to XP SP2, 2000, and NT SP5, all of which didnt help, tried forcing it to run in widescreen resolution (as I have a 1440 x 900 screen), tried compatibility 640x480, all of which didnt help.

I'm stumped as what to do, as games like bioshock and even timeshift run without a hitch. Even older games like Red Orchestra and CS:S are ok. Heres my spec:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 1520

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 891MB used, 3418MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Nvidia Go 8600M GT 256mb dedicated ram (although sold as a 'go' card, apparently its classed as a Nvidia 8600M)

Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC (what device manager calls my soundcard)

Please could you guys lend your expertise? Thanks

Edit: BF2 dosent leave any error message. BF2142 also crashes to a 'Bf2142 has stopped working' error, and cannot find disc when in XP SP2 compatability mode. My user type is administrator, therefor the 'Run as administrator' option on the compatibility tab is greyed out. Looksl ike I might have to move my joystick back to my tower and play from there again. How annoying.

based on the screen res of your laptop, start here,

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Comment

Yeah i already tried that. thanks though

Comment

It may or may not help but it would be a good idea to go here,

and update your DirectX.

Not really sure what else to try ATM as I have zero problems running BF2 on Vista; no need for running in compatibility mode, no right click and run as admin, etc; and to top it off I'm running the 64 bit Vista.

One more thing, what video driver version are you currently running?

Comment

DX says its already completly up to date.

Driver Date: 23/08/2007
          Driver Version: 7.15.11.5655

hope this helps

Comment

I CTD frequently on Vista 64Bit. Try changing your gfx drivers.

Comment

im just running 32 bit vista. i tried the drivers used for timeshift from laptops2go.com using the modified .inf file but that didnt help

Edit: by the way i am now using the forceware 163.67 for vista, driver version 7.15.11.6367. this didnt help either.

Comment

For what it's worth, I was playing BF2 earlier (and am typing on) a Thinkpad T60 with Vista x32 Business and it works beautifully. ATI x1400 on all med with about 40 FPS. It's not Vista, more likely a configuration or a setting problem. I am running my account as an administrator too, and my checkbox is not greyed out. Try running without compatability mode and see if that changes your run as admin box to be checkable. That seems odd to me, though, that it is uncheckable.

Good luck getting it sorted it out.

Comment

Try the latest 169.09 drivers. Make sure you run driver cleaner or driver sweeper prior to installing new drivers, to rid the previous ones which can conflict with each other.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all your help. I set up a new user account on my computer to check whether there were any settings in my current user account that were messing up the game, and to check if the 'run as admin' option was greyed out. the option was still greyed out but the game ran perfectly. I desided to delete the battlefield 2 folder in my documents and copy and paste the one over from my other user profile. This gave me access to the game, but I couldnt retrieve my BF2 account because I got a #e-mail address already in use' error because i play regularly on my tower, so I set up a new account, copied and pasted 4 or 5 profile files from my tower to my laptop (everything apart from video, sound and other computer configuration files) and I now have my main account working on both computers.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out, and thanks to BPCrusher01 for giving me the idea about settings or config problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X