Help needed with f**king vista!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with f**king vista!

Hi guys, last week I had a major system crash and couldn't even use my acronis true image to sort the mess out, I think it was due to a d-link usb hub that somehow corrupted the whole system, including my acronis image.
    So in my great (not!) wisdom I decided to upgrade to vista home premium 32bit.
    Now it's running real nice and I'm pretty impressed with it apart from one thing............................................. ....................
    IT WON'T INSTALL BATTLEFIED!!!!
    All i'm getting is a message at the final moment saying this program did not install correctly, buffer overrun detected.
    I can get it to start, even with the latest patch (1.41 I think) and get to the multiplayer, but as soon as I click on a map, it loads, then crashes to desktop. I am soooooo missing project reality!
    I haven't tried putting pr in as I think it's pointless till I get vanilla working again.
    I have all latest drivers, 4gigs ram etc.
    I'm running as system admin and using xp compatability mode, so I'm out of ideas, can anyone help?
    Please don't just say "told you so" or "go back to xp" or "make it dual boot" as I really don't want to mess that much (it's taken me a week reinstalling all my sh1t) and I can't face doing it all again.
    Cheers guys, hoping you can sort me out.

When you say upgrade did you do this from XP or did you format the hdd and then install a clean copy of Vista?

Also, make sure you get all the latest Vista fixes from MS

Comment

I used the upgrade disk, but during installation it told me it needed to format my hd and so it put a full clean install in. I've got all the latest vista fixes and I know other people are running it, so any ideas?

Comment

Do other games work?

Comment

Yeah, I've been playing cod4 with no problems whatsoever.
          I think I've got it sorted now, I uninstalled for the tength or so time, then thought about it, and the thing that has always created problems for me with battlefield is the sound card. So I disabled it in device manager and hey presto, it worked! No overruns detected, got the patch in and got the game running fine. I haven't had a chance to play a few rounds, so it will be interesting to see how stable it is.
          Thanks for the help all

Comment

Working...
          X