Upgrading my computer for christmas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my computer for christmas.

At the moment my comp consists of AMD 64 anthlon 3200, 1gb supertalent ram, msi 6600gt, msi mobo 939, 80gb hitachi hd, and antec 400w psu.

Im gonna upgrade the Processor, ram, psu and video card.

For video cards which one of these would be the best.
    Buy EVGA 256-P2-N765-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

or
    Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 2900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card 100213 - GPUs / Video Graphics Cards with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

or
    Buy MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Im mostly gonna be playing Cod4 and sometimes some C&C3.

Then for ram im gonna get 2x512mb sticks of supertalent, unless there a better option at the same price range of 50-55$ and is 2X512mb sticks. (ddr400 pc3200)
    Please suggest me some ram if there is a better option.

and for processor im gonna get a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz.
    Buy AMD Athlon 64 4000+ - Athlon 64 San Diego Single-Core 2.4 GHz Socket 939 89W Processor - ADA4000DKA5CF - Processors - Desktops with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

and for the psu its gonna be the Thermaltake Purepower ATX 12V 500W
    Buy XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W 500 W ATX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

please leave suggestions/tweaks.
    thanks

Why not get the Athlon 64 X2 4200+ for socket 939? Only slightly more expensive than the one you have chosen and much faster. Assuming your mobo supports dual core processors. I think with a bios update it should.

The 8600GTS is probably a good choice. I would stay away from cards made by Sapphire. They seem to have a high rate of failure after about a year. (I know some of you guys on here are perfectly happy with their Sapphire cards, but there is a disproportionate number of people who are not).

Are you planning on installing 2x512MB of RAM in addition to the 1024MB you already have? 2GB of RAM are a MUST for smooth gameplay. Check out the deals on 2x1GB ram. It would be faster & more stable than having 4 sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by wtrtwnguy
      Why not get the Athlon 64 X2 4200+ for socket 939? Only slightly more expensive than the one you have chosen and much faster. Assuming your mobo supports dual core processors. I think with a bios update it should.

The 8600GTS is probably a good choice. I would stay away from cards made by Sapphire. They seem to have a high rate of failure after about a year. (I know some of you guys on here are perfectly happy with their Sapphire cards, but there is a disproportionate number of people who are not).

Are you planning on installing 2x512MB of RAM in addition to the 1024MB you already have? 2GB of RAM are a MUST for smooth gameplay. Check out the deals on 2x1GB ram. It would be faster & more stable than having 4 sticks.
      Yeah i plan on putting another 2 512 sticks in there but if i find a good deal on 2x1gb sticks then ill go for that.

I guess ill go for the evga 8600gts superclocked

and im gonna have to check if my mobo accepts dual core, thats the reason i didnt opt for the x2 4200. If so ill def get that one.

edit: just checked and my mobo supports x2 and fx cpus so ill be getting the x2 4200

thanks alot

Also id appreciate it if one of yall found me some good relativly cheap 2x1gb stick package.

Comment

Working...
      X