Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance

Hey all, glad to be on forums. I wonder if any of you could help me, need some advice. I recently bought a new computer and i'm dissapointed at the performance, as i expected much more (call of duty 4)

The specs are as follows:

Intel Quadcore q6600
    4gb ram Corsair (667mhzx4)
    512mb Nvidea 8500gt
    320gb hdd
    Windows Vista

I have all my graphics on low and have set fps to com_maxfps 999 etc, vertical sync off.
    My fps fluctuates a lot and on some maps i get a lot of fps lag (40fps and less)

I'm thinking that it is vista thats making my hardware work not as good and am thinking duel booting xp home with vista, if i can do it.

Any advice / tips? Any opinion welcome

Cheers, hATE

ur specs is pretty sick except for the video card. its a low-end card. id give u tips but i dont kno alot about vista (i dont have it)

Comment

Try running the applications in XP compatibility mode. Try running with administrator permissions. You do have a very low end video card though.

Comment

The card isn't exactly 'low-end' by BF2 standards but for new games like CoD4 it certainly is. 512MB video RAM can't help a slow GPU. I don't run Vista either but I have read that you may lose as much as 10% in game performance compared to XP (partly from immature video drivers).

Comment

Seeing how it benchmarks lower than a GeForce 7300 and roughly equal to a 6600, that's pretty lowend for me. (tomshardware.com VGA comparison chart) It just doesn't make sense to put a $65 dollar card in a $1200 machine. I had ZERO loss in performance in BF2 using Vista x64. Sometimes, my framerates increased. Either something's wrong with his hardware configuration, or his video card can't keep up, I'm willing to bet.

Comment

nice one cheers for your replies. It's a pity about the card Isn't it a dx10 card though and at 512mb shouldnt this be pretty damn good, or am i behind with times again?

Comment

I have this and blows all games out of the water

this is my system running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO 2.40GHz Quad Core CPU Overclocked too a minimum of 3.00GHz and beyond.
              - Tuniq Tower 120 Pro Blue LED Intel approved cooler
              - Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink
              - Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680 SLi (Socket LGA775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
              - Award winning OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 CAS5 (4x1GB) Dual Channel Kit (Overclocked at 1000MHz+)
              - 500GB Western Digital 16MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive
              - 2x NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) DirectX 10 Graphics Card configured in SLI
              - Pioneer 112DBK 18x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
              - Antec NINE HUNDRED Gamers ATX Case
              - OCZ 1010W Next Generation Power Supply

Comment

Look at this Vista tweak guide and also look at this BF2 tweak guide.

Comment

Originally posted by hate View Post
                  nice one cheers for your replies. It's a pity about the card Isn't it a dx10 card though and at 512mb shouldnt this be pretty damn good, or am i behind with times again?
                  yes but it is a low end 8 series. Don't let the number fool ya

I have an 8800 GTS 320mb, plays COD4 at 50-100+ FPS. I would suggest stepping up to that if you want a decent card.

Comment

Originally posted by hate View Post

nah dude, 512 mb doesnt mean its a good card, or even a great card, you can find them for 40bucks.

your card is avg to medium, you should be able to run on medium fairly well. pewter specs are nice like they allready said.

Comment

An 8800 with 320MB will destroy an 8600 with 512MB in actual performance. I had a BFG FX5200 with 512MB but it could barely run BF2 at 30fps on low. My next card was a 6800 with 128MB that was fantastic for what I paid for it, even though it was low on memory. Just like a computer, memory helps a lot, but its the processor (CPU or VPU) that matters.

Comment

I'd call the 8500 a low end card in terms of 3D performance. 512MB of memory won't help you if the memory is slow. The 8500GT has only about half the memory bandwidth of a 8600GT. The processor is slow, too. The 8500 will work nicely in an office machine or for multimedia applications, but for gaming, you seriously need something a little faster than that.

Comment

If you can't spend a load of money, then I recommend the ati x1950 or the nvidia 8600GT/S. I have an 8600GT 256mb and the only game I can't play on all high settings is crysis. cod4, bioshock, bf2, timeshift, gears of war, UT3 demo, etc, etc, they all play on high with 30+ frame rate

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
                            If you can't spend a load of money, then I recommend the ati x1950 or the nvidia 8600GT/S. I have an 8600GT 256mb and the only game I can't play on all high settings is crysis. cod4, bioshock, bf2, timeshift, gears of war, UT3 demo, etc, etc, they all play on high with 30+ frame rate
                            I would suggest Radeon HD3870 for him. It's around 200 bucks, and it's even better than a 8800GTS.

Comment

Working...
                            X