Awaiting server connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awaiting server connection

Every server I try and join this happens, sometimes I get lucky and get into a server but it's rare. It'll count to 11 and say server timed out. Any helpful tips? I have comcast cable isp using a wireless router.

i have exactly the same problem, its seems i can never join low ping servers (im in UK) but sometimes higher ping servers such as in the USA work... (ive tried extending the time limit to 30secs seems to make no dif.)

Comment

It seems that the default time out setting is too short. This fix worked for me and many others. Type the following into the console (access by pressing ` key = on left of 1 on keyboard):

/seta cl_connectionAttempts "30"

This only changes the time out to 30 from 10. Sometimes it still fails, but that's the netcode. Try again. I connnect a lot around 17-20.

Comment

ye.. ive tried everything uve said but still cant get on at all... i feel so deprived... haveent played it online 1ce

Comment

btry few times on the same server. Be patient, brother.

PS. Cod need some patching, thats for sure

Comment

i had exactly the same same problem , i found that punkbuster needed a update and as soon as i did this i could connect and stay there.

maybe it was a coincidence or fluke but i tried about 10 servers at random and each one connected after about 5 secs rather than count to 11 secs and give me a time out.

Comment

Can you update PB manualy? If so, how?

Comment

i used pbsetup.

i cannot be sure it is a solution for everyone but it cannot do any harm to try

if it works for you then perhaps it was no fluke and will work for others too ?

Comment

I updated PB and it solved the problem! Try it.

Comment

You can always open up your config_mp file in your user folder with notepad, and add the seta cl_connectionAttempts "30" at the end manually and it works. Just save it

Comment

Usually this problem occours when the master server is "overloaded" and need more than 10 (default setting on your CoD4 installation) connection attemps to connect, wich you need to do if you want to play on a Ranked Server.
                      And that you solve with one of the metods mentioned above.

1. Type /seta cl_connectionAttempts "30" . To verifie that the change have been made, start to type "cl_conn..." to see if the console gives you a proposal to the command cl_connectionAttempts with the value "30" and not "10".
                      Notice that you dont have to pick the value 30 (usually is enough though). But it sometimes need more attempts to connect then 30. Or it could be something else that is wrong. The higher amount of maximum connection attempts the longer you have to wait, if you after all cant connect to the server.
                      2. Like the post above states, directly add the command to the config_mp.cfg file located in the [Call of duty 4 directory]/players/profiles/[Your profile name]/config_mp.cfg . Please note that if you take this "Shortcut" and add the wrong command or change something by misstake your Installation of CoD4 might not work atall.

If the above change doesnt help, try manually updating PunkBuster with pbsetup.exe or open slots 28960 and 29960 in your router/firewall.

Hope this guide helps so all of you can experience the fun of Call of Duty 4 multiplayer.

Comment

wait i made it try connect 4 90 secs... now it changes just after 60 secs, then says awaiting challenge then counts to 60 then says 'server is for low ping players only' :S

Comment

as in my previous post... I solved this issue by going into the single player first then accessing multiplayer from there...

Dont ask me why this works but instead of having to go through the process 5 to 8 times before connection I cab connect 1st or 2nd time pretty much always.

I am on a Mac and bootcamp running windows XP... dont know if and why this would make any difference though

Comment

i jus tried that... didnt work

Comment

I use the Single player desktop icon.... go into the game, and then actually start or resume my SP game itself as if playing it.

Then I just quit using the quit and save function to get back to the main screen again.... then down the bottom on this main screen and go into Multiplay and play this instead....

This works every time for me.... I seriously can connect pretty much first time....

If I go into multiplay using the Multiplay only desktop icon then all hell breaks lose..... cannot connect to servers and crashes mid-game when I do.

I have been using this method for 3 days... what can I say..... it works perfectly for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X