Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is dual-core better than single for BF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robf View Post
    Here is a good place to start;

Read the latest computer hardware news, analysis and opinions on Tom's Hardware and get a glimpse into the future of cutting edge tech.

-Rob
    Robf thank you a ton for showing me that thread!! Lots of good information and I think I found a starting point for what I am looking for. I'll post my starting specs here shortly and see what you all think.

Okay here is what I have thrown together so far. Take into consideration this is just a starting point and me and my friend will more than likely tweak on this some.

Items I currently have:
    Logitec MC518 Mouse
    Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick
    Raidmax Scorpio ATX case
    CD/DVD Burner

New upgrade items:
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $93.99
    Buy Open Box: ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card – Retail - $149.99 ($20 mail-in rebate)
    Buy MSI GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,UL,TUV,FCC – Retail - $54.99
    Buy Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550 W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Intel Dual-Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor – Retail - $82.99 (lots of good reviews on this CPU)
    Buy Intel Pentium E2160 - Pentium Allendale Dual-Core 1.8 GHz LGA 775 65W Processor - BX80557E2160 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail Extended Voltage Protection - $79.99
    ($35.00 mail-in rebate)
    Buy OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM - $69.99
    Buy Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Total price before rebates: $$531.94 + tax
    Total price after rebates: $476.94

Any recommendations? Our goal is to be under $500 after rebates and will pretty well stick to it.

Thanks for looking!

Comment

A 1.8Ghz is just too slow, especially if you want to play games. Neverthless, I read the comments on newegg, and apparently you can o/c that CPU to 3gigz, even on stock cooler. This may be the case, however, If I was you, I'd research this CPU thoroughly before committing to buy it, to make sure there are no long-run problems with it.

Comment

I used that processor due to this article http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/..._2007_edition/

I currently run a AMD Athlon XP 2500 which stock clocks 1.8ghz. Anything is going to be an improvement for me so starting out a little lower right now on the processor is something I will have to live with. If you can make a intel processor suggestion while trying to stay under or around the $500 mark I would appreciate it.

Comment

I think you are on the right track. GFX and memory will be your biggest factors. A couple of comments;

You probably could get a little more bang for the buck on your GFX card. Check out this updated article on best performers for the money. At the end there is a nice table that lumps cards by gross performance.

Just FYI, I run a 7600GT with all settings on high w/o issue.

If you are really interested in SLI, you have to pick another board. Intel chipsets are not licensed for SLI, so you have to look for something with Nvidia chipset. Also, unless you have a good audio card, it might be worth paying a few extra bucks for a motherboard with high quality audio. BTW, that eliminates ALL Intel chipsets. Every one I have tried had audio issues. You would be amazed at how much better you play with a good audio card and a set of over the ear headphones. Plus, good audio hardware removes some load off of the main CPU.

For the processor, you should be fine. There are lots of upgrade options for the 775 socket and even in the short term the prices will only improve on the better Core2 Duo or Quads.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dremanu View Post
            Neverthless, I read the comments on newegg, and apparently you can o/c that CPU to 3gigz, even on stock cooler.

I overclocked my old Athlon XP 2400+ to about 2.4ghz it used to be 2.0 i think and it ran quite smoothly and remained quite cool so overclocking could be an option

Comment

Other then tomshardware.com does anyone have any other sites they recommend for computer equipment reviews? I've found a bunch already but there may be one I haven't seen yet that is top notch.

ThAnKs!

Comment

Originally posted by =RtW=BakinBitz
                Other then tomshardware.com does anyone have any other sites they recommend for computer equipment reviews? I've found a bunch already but there may be one I haven't seen yet that is top notch.

ThAnKs!

Try this.

Comment

Originally posted by =RtW=BakinBitz
                  I used that processor due to this article http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/..._2007_edition/

I currently run a AMD Athlon XP 2500 which stock clocks 1.8ghz. Anything is going to be an improvement for me so starting out a little lower right now on the processor is something I will have to live with. If you can make a intel processor suggestion while trying to stay under or around the $500 mark I would appreciate it.
                  If your main concern is to build a PC that will cost under $500, and still allow you to play games with a resonable performance, then you have lots of options. The only concern you may have is whether or not your PC will be future proofed, allowing for further updates for the next 1 to 2 years.

Choosing between an Intel or AMD platform is, in my opinion a matter of personal choice. Both will offer you different options to achieve the same end result. Since I'm and AMD user, I rather give you some opinions on what you can do to meet your goal of a PC for $500.

If you choose to go with AMD you have two options, either build your system using the 939 socket, or the AM2 socket. The 939 will give you cheap mobo and CPU that can last you for at least another 1 to 2 years, but you won't be able to use the latest DDR2 ram, nor really upgrade your CPU, although you'll still be able to upgrade the video card. The AM2 socket will give you "cheap" mobo, slots for DDR2, and also the ability to further upgrade. You'll also be able to find a good choice of CPU's either single or dual core for the AM2 socket, all under $100, and all running at over 2.2gigz, which should really be the minimum speed you'd be looking to use, if you want to use your PC to play games. Just go to the http://www.newegg.com website, and look at their options. They're probably the best place to get deals on computer parts.

Comment

Newegg has always been my preferred choice for buying electronics!!

Our goal IS to have a system that we can continue to upgrade over time. So like you suggested we would like to have AM2 socket or a 775 socket as we can utilize DDR2 or better ram plus upgrade to a better processor later on.

I have used AMD's in my last two systems and have no complaints whatsoever. My buddy prefers Intel and I doubt I can get him to make the switch. He has a little more room to fudge on his pricing so I may end up running a AMD since their prices are a little lower. But I do like some of the performance gains of running a good Intel.

Once he gets back from vacationing in Mexico with the wife and kid he will probably make a change or two and we will get to ordering.

Comment

Working...
                    X