Plane Bombing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane Bombing

You could say that i'm bragging, but in the last week or so, i've become a really good pilot/plane flyer, this is mainly because when i fly the plane, i know what i am doing.
    First of all, to be a good bomber, you need to know where and when to drop your bombs, i have taken a couple of screenshots to show you where you should actually be aiming when you go to bomb something:

If you aim where the "x" is, i guarantee that you will become a bombing master in no time. You won't always hit your target, no one does, but if you just do that simple thing, you will be able to take out whole squads of people in the click of a mouse.
    Below, is a screenshot of the plane as it's bombs are just about to be released, just so you know what it looks like when you are lining up your shot:

As for when to drop your bombs, it doesn't matter too much unless you are so high up that the bombs spread out a mile apart from eachother, but it depends on what your target/s are, eg. if your target is a convoy of vehicles, drop your bombs a little higher, then they will spread out accordingly, and not bunch up on one target.
    Again, if you aim where the x is, your first bomb will hit its target for sure.

Thanks for reading

Use single bomb drop when your not in a bomber. Just press "F" (default) after dropping a bomb.

Comment

just to be sure, uve also have been flying in multiplayer right? flying against bots is easy

Comment

yes lol, i just went on singleplayer to get a decent screenshot.

Comment

Originally posted by waaah_wah View Post
          Use single bomb drop when your not in a bomber. Just press "F" (default) after dropping a bomb.
          Does that work to switch to single-bomb mode?
          Gah I've been doing that drop 2 bombs-reload 1 bomb-drop it thing to switch to single-bomb mode...

Also can you drop the first bomb and then lower your nose a bit to drop the second bomb to plant both on one place to destroy something like a tank? I've never tried that as I still have trouble getting 1 bomb accurate but if it's possible then there's no point to single-bomb mode.

Comment

tbh, i always prefer flying at between 500-600M and then divebombing targets. It means you don't get hassled on the way in and you have a lot of speed going out of the dive to get back up to 700M

Comment

Yea but in places like Dragon Valley you can't see a thing when you fly so high, everything is white up there. You can't even see your aiming reticule because it's white...

Comment

That designated spot you drew on the screenshot is definitely the general target area of where you want to drop them, but it is not always so, if you want to be accurate, it largely depends on what angle you are approaching your target. That X represents more of the target for when you're flying horizontally. If you coming in a bit more downward, you're more likely to target youy enemies right on the curved green line under that white X.

Comment

^^Wrong... Its the other way around actually. When you dive, you use the spot marked with an X, but when you are flying horizontally you use the curved line.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan673 View Post
                    That designated spot you drew on the screenshot is definitely the general target area of where you want to drop them, but it is not always so, if you want to be accurate, it largely depends on what angle you are approaching your target. That X represents more of the target for when you're flying horizontally. If you coming in a bit more downward, you're more likely to target youy enemies right on the curved green line under that white X.
                    Yeah I agree with you on that one Dan most of my bombing is done aiming down towards the target therefore where you said is where I usually aim although once you get more experience you can just feel when the time is right. The horizonal approach though is interesting especially when wanting to get a convoy like you said the bombs spread out. I know when I use the horizontal bombing technique and that is usually when dropping them on stationary TOW AA's they are easy to take out and can usually be done with your eyes closed so I leisurely do this whilst casually flying over them. But whats fun to do is drop it on them from a greater height than normal. I often do this and snigger to myself knowing that they can see the bombs coming but theres nothing they can do about it!
                    On the other hand I like steep (stuka) precision style bombing sometimes that way the bombs go nearly as fast as the jet hitting the ground within a second hard, fast and accurately theres no chance of escaping a well placed bomb that way.

^^Wrong... Its the other way around actually. When you dive, you use the spot marked with an X, but when you are flying horizontally you use the curved line.
                    Waaah wah now you mention it you're probably right, but those days have passed trying to figure out where on the display a target needs to be to drop the bombs accurately. I'll try it and come to a conclusion later.

Comment

Honestly I don't think theres a right or wrong answer for this, its all about feel as Mafiagreenday stated. Its all about however you feel comfortable.

Comment

Ok,
                        The only way you can actually learn to bomb well is to practice.
                        People can tell you all they want where to drop the bomb, but each situation is different, and therefore you must be able to adapt.

Personally, I drop every bomb, no matter what plane, in a single ripple... swing back around and drop the second... This way I am guaranteed to destroy whatever target it is I'm attacking.

To do this, switch to missiles as soon as you drop the first bomb.

Comment

Although these HUD following strategies work most the time, they aren't correct. You cannot generalize one HUD location for many different angles of attack. The only reason this appears to work most of the time for people is they always attack targets from the same angle without realizing it, they are overlooking the fact that if they were to significantly alter their angle of attack the bomb would have a completely different trajectory and using the same area on the HUD would not be helpful.

An example is flying completely level (angle of 0 degrees) your bombs actually will land wherever the bottom of the line on your HUD is aimed at, not the top. Where as a dive bombing approach (angle close to 90 degrees) the bombs hit pretty much whatever is in your immediate cross hairs. Different angles of attack can mean completely different areas of the HUD being used.

Good pilots know that you must use a variety of angles of attack to be successful, so unless you like memorizing tons of locations on the HUD I suggest you find a different approach. Using the HUD also means you MUST approach the target with zero tilt (wings axis perpendicular to the horizontal) or the bombs will not hit the target.

Just practice and you'll get a feel for it, which is much better than looking at it mathematically. Use F11 and F12 views a lot to see where your bombs land and adjust. I never used the HUD and I have as close to pinpoint accuracy as possible with the bombs from almost any angle of attack. Then again I have been practicing precision bombing since 42, but that's the key thing I'm emphasizing here, practice.

Comment

ROFLMAO!:laugh:

Comment

i agree the best way to bomb is to dive, u always hit this way as u aim the plane at the target and then drop the bomb. plus most the time they never see u coming

Comment

Working...
                              X