Recommend a good video card ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good video card ?

Hi, ok i've had lots of problems with BF2 in the past.....general gameplay is glitchy, sounds/video loop sometimes, it crashes to desktop more often than not....and sometimes just freezes and not even ctrl+alt+del will minimise it.

I've reformatted, i check virus/spyware regularly, close unnecessary programs and update punkbuster, and still get these problems. I did update my drivers yesterday then had a game.....a lot of it went away but its still glitchy every now and again. But I rarely have a game that runs smoothly. I know there are other things I could tweak but i'm not pro so i'd rather not mess anything up if I don't know what i'm doing :laugh:

Here are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
    1 GB of Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600

I run all the BF2 settings on low except......textures/ lighting is on medium, but I don't really wanna have to do that just so it wont crash on me

So i've read some people with this video card can run settings on medium and it should be ok.....but I was looking at getting a new video card and maybe some more ram. It would be nice to play properly and perhaps have some settings on high

Can anyone recommend a good video card for my comp ? I don't know much about this stuff so some explanations of various types would be good.

Thanks

Re: Recommend a good video card ?

wats ur budget. and is ur video card pci-e or agp

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
      wats ur budget. and is ur video card pci-e or agp
      Mine is 256mb pci-e .....and around AUS $300-400 maybe

Comment

add 1 gig of ram and get a GeForce 7600GT. I have a similar system (but i actually have 2.5 gigs of RAM) and i have zero issues running BF2 on all high settings with AA on. I think I got the video card for ~$150 (US) from Newegg. RAM is cheap so load it up!

Comment

To play on high you will need another gig of ram. For cards I think these are great for the price, I prefer EVGA or BFG for the warrantee.
          Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

That is a nicer card than what I have, and mine plays everything high very smooth. It's really quite a treat if you love this game!
          My specs:
          Intel Duo 2 6400
          2GB DDR2 800
          BFG 7900GT

Comment

Originally posted by d0min8or View Post
            add 1 gig of ram and get a GeForce 7600GT. I have a similar system (but i actually have 2.5 gigs of RAM) and i have zero issues running BF2 on all high settings with AA on. I think I got the video card for ~$150 (US) from Newegg. RAM is cheap so load it up!
            yeah i'll definately get some more ram

Originally posted by OminousLull View Post
            To play on high you will need another gig of ram. For cards I think these are great for the price, I prefer EVGA or BFG for the warrantee.
            Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

That is a nicer card than what I have, and mine plays everything high very smooth. It's really quite a treat if you love this game!
            My specs:
            Intel Duo 2 6400
            2GB DDR2 800
            BFG 7900GT
            Ok so what is the difference between a GT and a GTS ?......Just quickly searching I found a Gigabyte nVidia 8600GT (PCI-E VCG-NX86T512H) for AUS$225.....good or bad ?

Comment

I believe the GTS is faster. Here is 8600GTS performance:

Here's a comparison of the 8600GT and 8600GTS
              In this article, HotHardware evaluates the BFG GeForce 8600GTS OC, one of the highest clocked and best performance GeForce 8600 GTS cards on the

Comment

Get new 512MB 8800GT, it is only 250 USD and better then 8800GTS:

Read the latest computer hardware news, analysis and opinions on Tom's Hardware and get a glimpse into the future of cutting edge tech. | Tom's Hardware

Comment

TechBuy is one of Australia's largest online computer hardware, server, peripheral, digital camera, printer, stationery, phone and gaming consoles (Playstation, Wii, Xbox) suppliers.

^ there you go, hopefully you can order from there,

Comment

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, i'll have a look around at them

Comment

Add ram for sure, you'll be bottleneckig some with 1 gig, your pent 4 is nice you need atleast 1 gig but i'd go 2 more just my opinion, and i'd get a nVidia GeForce 7900 GS PCI-E

its a kickazz card

Comment

wow 8800gt for $250...id get it if i had a pci-e slot.

Comment

8800 GTX

Mine has been good to me all I had to do is use riva tuner to bump up the fan speed,now it stays as cool as id like it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Section{8} View Post
                            8800 GTX

Mine has been good to me all I had to do is use riva tuner to bump up the fan speed,now it stays as cool as id like it to.
                            far to much they're like $700 AUD,

Comment

Originally posted by Section{8} View Post
                              8800 GTX

why's it runnin hot? overclocked? seems odd, pay that much for a card & have to zap the fan up.

ConscriptVirus wow 8800gt for $250...id get it if i had a pci-e slot.
                              If i'd had the dough i'd bought one, i updated, got a medium card, but works good on all highsettings, but sure would be nice to have that card.

btw what PSU does it require?wattage i mean & rails all that techno crap , anybody know?

Comment

Working...
                              X