Crash to Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash to Desktop

I just re-installed BF2 on this computer after about a year of not being able to play. Anyway, I am constantly crashing to the desktop. No errors, nothing just crash right to the desktop during game play. The time it takes for the game to crash varies. Sometimes its a minutes into a game, sometimes its several minutes, sometimes its an hour.

I cannot seem to figure out what is wrong. Here are my system stats and I have also attached my dxdiag if anyone is interested in looking at that.

Win Xp Pro SP2
    AMD 64 X2 5600+
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 XT on 1440x900 Resolution (6.14.0011.6371 Drivers)
    4gigs Corsair XMS2 6400 RAM Dual channeled
    SB Live! 24-bit

Any help would be appreciated so much!

Re: Crash to Desktop

what are your settings on your gfx in bf2, low, medium, hi? also what refresh rate do you have...i've been getting this a lot just lately, i've put it on 1024 x 768 at 60fps seems to have done the trick...but scan for spyware, background process's, do windows update, etc etc, you can also search for the tweaking guide it may help...

also, are you running 64bit xp, if not, how have you managed 4gb ram + whatever ram ur gfx card has...

try the dual core optimizer aswell m8

Comment

maybe the game is putting too much strain on ur video card. u have a pretty decent computer except hte 6800xt is a bit old. try lowering ur resolution. wat settings do u play at? or maybe it could be overheating--try cleaning out some dust? theres juts so many reasons behind CTDs that its hard to figure wats wrong

Comment

I just set the Resolution to 1024x768 at 60hz All the settings are on medium, except texture which is on high. AA is turned off, so I am going to put AA on 2x and turn texture down to medium. I will let you know how that works.

Also, to answer your question about XP, its just 32bit. I only have 3500 or so RAM showing up, due to XP only being 32bit.

Comment

And our lesson in algebra today:

Creative + 4GB RAM = crash.

Comment

Originally posted by kryptik
            I just set the Resolution to 1024x768 at 60hz All the settings are on medium, except texture which is on high. AA is turned off, so I am going to put AA on 2x and turn texture down to medium. I will let you know how that works.

Also, to answer your question about XP, its just 32bit. I only have 3500 or so RAM showing up, due to XP only being 32bit.
            Okay, I updated all these settings and still crashes.

Comment

check the temp on your gpu?

whats your PSU ? they weaken down over time

did you have the SB before when you used to play it? i think sounblaster is a thorn in the side when it mixed with bf2

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe0171
                check the temp on your gpu?

whats your PSU ? they weaken down over time

did you have the SB before when you used to play it? i think sounblaster is a thorn in the side when it mixed with bf2
                No, I havent, I bought it this summer. My PSU is an Apevia AS520W.

Comment

If its playing good for 1-10minutes then CTD with no errors, my money is on the card, or possible weak PSU, but a 520w should be fine so im guessing the card has probs

i'd check the temp on the GPU, you can get a temp monitor from the net here , & load the game & when it crashes check that temp at that very second, with a fan if you wait long it will cool quick.
                  my card just heated up & finally went out the other day so i know they can & do CTD when they get hot , it was only about 8mo. old.

Comment

to my knowledge xp 32bit can't handle 4gb +gfx card ram, take 2 gb out, delete your bf2 cach in my documents and try again....xp is 64bit also btw

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperUK View Post
                      to my knowledge xp 32bit can't handle 4gb +gfx card ram, take 2 gb out, delete your bf2 cach in my documents and try again....xp is 64bit also btw
                      What about vista 64bit? Well, last I checked Bf2 wasn't compatible with vista64.

Comment

My honest opinion is that, it's the game. I crash to and my system is more than enough capable of handling this game. I've played it with this system for like 6 solid months then all of a sudden i start to crash after i load the map or try to go to sound options in-game. I've tried almost everything. I think it might have something to do with Directx, but i dont know for sure. I have everything and i mean EVERYTHING up to date and still crashing to desktop. I WANT TO KILL SOMEONE!!!

EA and Creative Labs really needs to address this issue and follow up with some kind of hotfix/patch.

Comment

Well I removed two gigs and the game seems to be working fine now. Knock on wood.

Comment

Originally posted by kryptik View Post
                            Well I removed two gigs and the game seems to be working fine now. Knock on wood.
                            4 gigs maybe 2 much, i donno, i would try puttin one back & make you 3 gig just to see if it will run good with 3 i'd keep it & keep that 4th incase one ever went capoot..... i have 3 gig & mine runs great, but i dont have vista so that might be difference i donno:salute:

Comment

Originally posted by kryptik View Post

That, kids, is why we pay attention to maths, and cryptic messages by me.

Comment

Working...
                              X