Graphic card recommend plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic card recommend plz

My card went out this moring, i knew it was about time, anybody recommend a good card for about 150buks or under?? I was thinking of going with gforce nividia but not deadset
    system
    xp direct x 9
    pent 4
    3gig of 552mhz ram ddr2
    PCI-e Slot 16x
    500W psu

thanks

quick question, i dont know nutin about vista, but the cards that are "direct x 10" will they only work with vista? or do i have to make sure it is a direct 9?

thanks

Re: Graphic card recommend plz

ATI X1950 or Geforce 7950 gtx.

Directx 9 and 10 cards will both work with both vista and XP.
    If you really want a directx 10 card then you want a geforce 8800 but they're above your budget, the 8400 and 8600 are so-so, you get more power for money with the x1950 and 7950gtx. (7xxx cards are dx9, 8xxx are dx10).

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanDad View Post
      ATI X1950 or Geforce 7950 gtx.

Directx 9 and 10 cards will both work with both vista and XP.

Thx for reply, so if i get a direct x10 card that has say 600 clock speed, by only having x9 with xp will it stay at that speeed or lower it?

i'd really like to get a direct 10 card that way if it lasts a while i might get to use it when ever i do upgrade with new system with vista.

Comment

One of these:

Buy EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card 256-P2-N761-AR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Or (better):

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card 100196L with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

You won't get anything remotely playable in "DX10" games with the given price range.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
          One of these:

Buy EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card 256-P2-N761-AR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Or (better):

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card 100196L with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

You won't get anything remotely playable in "DX10" games with the given price range.
          Thx for reply, below is 3 i been looking at , 2 of them is direct x 10, im just dumbfounded to know if a direct 10card will work with xp.

what do you think of these?
          Buy ASUS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card EAX1950PRO/HTDP/256M with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy ASUS GeForce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card EN8600GT/HTDI/256M with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

I got a 7600GT for 90 after shipping and all that. It runs all basic things on high, all dynamic things on medium, with 2x AA at around 70 FPS. Cant go wrong with that, but if youve got the money and dont mind spending it, go for something higher up.

Comment

you don't need to worry about compatibility with dx9 and dx10 and xp and vista: they are all backwards compatible, so whatever setup you chose, it will work. Dx10 cards may be a wise investment but TBH I don't think we'll be seeing many dx10 games for a while (i'm not counting crysis), and by the time they've replaced dx9 games, the dx10 card you buy today will be very weak indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanDad
                you don't need to worry about compatibility with dx9 and dx10 and xp and vista: they are all backwards compatible, so whatever setup you chose, it will work. Dx10 cards may be a wise investment but TBH I don't think we'll be seeing many dx10 games for a while (i'm not counting crysis), and by the time they've replaced dx9 games, the dx10 card you buy today will be very weak indeed.

thx, i was just looking at the specs on the 10 cards , some of them the clock speeds are killer compared to the dx9's

thx for replies

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe0171 View Post
                  thx, i was just looking at the specs on the 10 cards , some of them the clock speeds are killer compared to the dx9's
                  Whatever you do DO NOT base a card on the clock speeds. Take a look here,

and tell me which card is better.

Comment

Yep, clock speed is only good for relative comparisons between two editions of the same card.

Don't bother with a DX10 card unless you can fork out around $300 or you buy an 8600GTS.

Comment

thx to you both, i do see what you mean about the clock speed.
                      actually i was considering the 8600gts, even thought the 8800 is killer its a bit more than i can afford right now.

im kinda dumb to some of the specs and which is best so i appreciate the help.

Comment

Thanks all for the help, i went with a card that will do good but not great, and reason i did is because of budget. i got it from dell because i have a preferred account & this one was factory tweaked to better specs than stock.
                        GeForce 7600GT XXX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Adapter
                        If definatly better than the card i did have, so that has to be good.

Comment

Damn, you could have gotten an 8800GT 256MB, not sure if it would have fitted your price range though.

Comment

May I ask how much you paid for it?

Comment

Originally posted by [p^]Killundo View Post
                              May I ask how much you paid for it?
                              2much thru dell:nod:, but like i said it was with my credit there is only reason, but it was 149.00

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

camperstrike
                              Damn, you could have gotten an 8800GT 256MB, not sure if it would have fitted your price range though.
                              maybe one day, i sure would of loved that card but i definatly couldnt afford it even on credit. im not sure my psu could of handle it anyway, i have a 500w 26a, somebody on another forum told me it wasnt enough amp's said i needed 29 & up. but i never checked into if he was right or wrong because of the price.
                              thx again, i mean u can look at the specs at that link, its not a great card, but not terrible. its better than my last, only diff my old card was a 512mb, but i have 3gig of ram so i dont think it will matter alot.
                              thx again for all ya'lls help:nod:

Comment

Working...
                              X