New Computer, Old Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer, Old Issue

I built this sytem just last summer, and up until a couple weeks ago, it has been running awesome; especially BF2. But lately I been crashing to desktop, sometimes my computer restarts, and even got a blue screen crash once. I found a loose fan and that seems to have fixed that issue. But BF2 still crashes. Its very random and there is no pattern. All other games and programs all run great. I updated all drivers, and last night uninstalled/reinstalled ...and it still is random crashing. I found a Vista Hotfix for nVidia, but I see no real improvement. I am really at wits end on this, and really, for matches sake, need to get this fixed. I am open for suggestions about something I may not have thought of ..thanks.

some specs:

P5N32E-SLI mobo
    E6700
    BFG 8800GTS 320
    4 gigs Ram
    Vista 64

Re: New Computer, Old Issue

Make partions for xp and vista , Game on XP and do multimedia/other stuff on vista

Comment

Hmm, can you just make partitions with XP on one and Vista on the other? If you can I didn't know that, but whatever. Honestly, Vista is just terrible for gaming. If you really care about your games then I would format to XP.

Comment

Sorry guys, I figured it out, and Vista was NOT it. Vista is great, and it won't be long until its the standard XP USED to be. So, you may as well get onboard.

What happened was, when it first started crashing, I thought it was due to heat, because I do have the system 10% overclocked, and thats the first thing I could think of to point the finger at. So I went into the Bios, and reset all the settings to standard or auto. That didn't work and it still kept crashing. Then I found I had a loose CPU fan, which I thought for sure that was it. But, then when I fired it up, it still was crashing. I tried alot of stuff, did alot of research, and just could not find anything wrong. It just didn't make sense, because it was running so well before all this, and I couldn't think of what could have changed. I thought for sure the loose fan would be it.

Then it hit me, the Ram I have is rated to run at 2.0v, and this motherboard, with standard/auto settings, will set the memory voltage to about 1.89v, a little lower than recommended manufacturer settings. So, what was happening was, under a load, my system crashed, restarted, or even blue screen crashed. I was right that the loose fan was the original reason it was crashing, but it kept on crashing due to too low voltage settings for the Ram. There you have it, mystery solved, and the system is back to performing as good as it ever was. I'm a happy gamer, and it's nice to not crash in the middle of matches. :-)

Comment

Wow~ Congratulations.

I'm sorry but may i ask a question?

Um... How do u change the voltage for RAMs???

Please tell me~~^^

Thank You.

Comment

Should be a setting in the BIOS to up the voltage.

Comment

Yes, the memory voltage settings are in the Bios, but I would not just go in and 'up the voltage'. The Ram manufacturer will have voltage ratings in the specs for that Ram, and it 'may' be neccesary to adjust it to match those recommendations. The particular Ram I have is rated to 2v, and to match that, I had to manually set that in the Bios. Actually, I set it to 2.025v, which is very slightly above, for additional stability under a load.

I highly recommend caution when adjusting voltages, ...more may not always be better. I just wanted to pass this situation on, with the idea, it just may help someone, sometime.

Comment

Wow!!! Almost blew my ram if i just highered the voltage.

Congratulations again and Thank you!

Happy BF2~!!!

Comment

Working...
                X