Pump action shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump action shotgun?

Hey guys. I was playing and I realized somethin. The American Shotgun plays like a pump action but I believe in real life it is semi auto. You can use pump action to use semi autos right? Thanks

Re: Pump action shotgun?

hmm i dont think so. the pump is what loads the next round. semiautomatic would use something totally different. its the pump that makes it not a semiautomatic

Comment

semi auto would be something like the DAO

Comment

But can you use manually use pump action on a semi auto? Kind of like how a m-16 can be semi auto or 3 round burst.

Comment

Originally posted by repub21 View Post
          But can you use manually use pump action on a semi auto? Kind of like how a m-16 can be semi auto or 3 round burst.
          no you have to "pump" it to chamber the next round.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBred View Post
            no you have to "pump" it to chamber the next round.
            What do you mean? Semi auto shoutguns don't need to be "pumped" right? Am I making any sense cause I may be wording this wrong.

On Wikipedia it said the m1187 shotgun (the American shotgun) is a semo auto shotgun. This means you USUALLY don't pump after each shot. The thing is that I also heard that semi auto shotguns CAN be pumped if the shooter wants to. Does this work for the REAL m1187? Well at least for the military version?

Comment

yeah SEMI AUTO shotguns dont need to be pumped, and PUMP shotguns do.

find me the wiki site (i cant seem to find it). but i think u would have to take apart and add stuff to a pumpshotgun to make it semi automatic.

Comment

site on the remi 11-87
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_11-87

Info on semi-auto shotties
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_shotgun

Note this line-
                Many semi-automatic shotguns also provide an optional manual means of operation such as by pump-action or via a charging handle.
                AFAIK the shotgun is not semi-auto, but I may be wrong, will look into it

Comment

so i guess OP is right. it looks like in RL, it is semi-auto and NOT pump.
                  http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh24-e.htm <-- says that it is gas operated so cant be pump. i guess BF2 is wrong

Comment

Hey guys. I was playing and I realized somethin. The American Shotgun plays like a pump action but I believe in real life it is semi auto. You can use pump action to use semi autos right? Thanks
                    The military uses pumpaction. Semiauto prove to be ineffective in the field ( to high of a choke and after frequent firing they have a tendency to jam, the expended shells get lodged in the action) and on top of that like I said before to high of a choke which means the spreads larger and is not near as accurate.

Negative

What do you mean? Semi auto shoutguns don't need to be "pumped" right? Am I making any sense cause I may be wording this wrong.

On Wikipedia it said the m1187 shotgun (the American shotgun) is a semo auto shotgun. This means you USUALLY don't pump after each shot. The thing is that I also heard that semi auto shotguns CAN be pumped if the shooter wants to. Does this work for the REAL m1187? Well at least for the military version?
                    they used them only for close quarters up close, but in the field their not used.

Comment

The M11 87 IRL is a semi auto shotgun. It works like any other semi auto weapon. Each pull of the trigger fires a round. The excess gas is bled off which works the action, ejecting the spent case and feeding a new one from the magazine into the chamber.

The M11 87 does NOT have a pump feature on it. The forend is fixed. However there are some semi auto weapons that can also work as pumps. One is the Benelli M3 Super 90, others are the SPAS 12 and the SPAS 15 as well.

The M3 has a ring to turn to disable the semi auto. The SPAS' both have a button on the forend you can press to release the pump. With the SPAS pump at the forward extreme the gas tube feeds gas to the action, with the pump moved back it seals the bleed holes and you can manually work it.

The reason is not all loads generate enough gas to work the action. Specialty rounds like CS gas rounds or beanbag rounds or even low powered bird shot won't cycle the action.

On a side note there will always be a method of working the action manually, to clear jams and misfires, however it is not as ergonomic or as fast as a pump shotgun. IIRC the M1187 has a curved AK style finger hook on the bolt to work it manually.

Edit
                      I don't understand what you mean by semi auto shotguns having "too high of a choke" most combat shotguns run with a "modified" choke, which is fairly tight, but will still allow one to shoot slugs and other single projectile rounds. A modified choke should drop 75&#37; of it's shot in a man sized target at 30m.

In real world terms that's 6 .38 sized balls out of a 00 load hitting out in the chest.

Incidently the Benelli M4 shotgun, called the M1014 by the US military, is a semi auto shotgun that is used by the USMC. As I understand it they own 20 000 of them.

This info can be gotten from quite a few different places, but here are two semi reliable links.

usmcweapons.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, usmcweapons.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Jesus Christ how complicated is this to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus View Post
                          so i guess OP is right. it looks like in RL, it is semi-auto and NOT pump.
                          http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh24-e.htm <-- says that it is gas operated so cant be pump. i guess BF2 is wrong
                          What a suprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen.Vlade View Post
                            Jesus Christ how complicated is this to understand.
                            LOLZ, Completely agree

It's not rocket science..

Comment

So when it's a PUMP ACTION shotgun, you have to PUMP the PUMP, but not SEMI the AUTO?

Have I got that right, then, lads?

Comment

Working...
                              X