help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please!

hey i have a problem that could be quite anoying in the near future. well, i looked at how much free space i have left and im on 41% free space, ive only got, swat4,battlefield 2/specialforces and age of empires 3 installed on my comp, so there is somin that is sapping up alot of my disk space and it keeps going down, ive defragged,used disk clean up, scanned for viruses and adware, what should i do? hopefully if i find a solution, this will help the lag when in play my games aswell. please help i have 44.6 GB out of 108 GB left.

Re: help please!

Originally posted by varasku View Post
    ( i have 44.6 GB out of 108 GB left.
    I assume we are talking disk space and not memory then?

Try having windows do a search after files greater than 1024 kb, then sort them after size.
    That way you can see what files takes the most space on your HD.

But since you have defragged etc., I wouldn't expect that freeing more diskspace will improve your performance.

Comment

wait how do i do that and im not sure it will be that because the disk space is just disapearing and im not installed anything new, i lost like 4 gigs today and all ive been doing is watchin vids and playin on battlefield, this could become bad if it becomes really low like 20 gigs or somin, i need some help.

Comment

wait how do i do that and im not sure it will be that because the disk space is just disapearing and im not installed anything new, i lost like 4 gigs today and all ive been doing is watchin vids and playin on battlefield, this could become bad if it becomes really low like 20 gigs or somin, i need some help.
        You probably have lots of videos stored on the HD, that is what is eating up your disk space.

Just use the search function in the file explorer, it is not complicated

Comment

i dont have any vids on my comp, my disk space is going down when im not doing anything.come on more people help please.

Comment

Show some effort varasku, did you run the search?

Comment

Start->Search->All Files->Chose What Size is it-> Change the value to around 1024kb

Then sort by Size

Comment

i did the search and stuff but there is loads of stuff that i dont want to tamper with.

Comment

Well if you don't want to tamper with anything your amount of free HDD space isn't going anywhere but down anytime soon.

Comment

i did the search and stuff but there is loads of stuff that i dont want to tamper with.
                    That sounds like a personal problem, but if you still say it's a virus/w/e. Download these programs..

Spybot
                    CCLeaner

For starters ^^

Comment

Go to this site http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
                      and download the treesize exe.

It should make it quite easy to track down where your diskspace is going.

Comment

Need the sizes of these folders/files:

C:\Windows\WinSxS
                        C:\Windows
                        C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
                        C:\Program Files
                        %Temp% (hit Start => Run, and type this in and press enter)
                        C:\Documents & Settings
                        pagefile.sys

Comment

Are you using windows vista? I have this "problem", too. One day I'll have 150gb of free space, and the next day I'd have 145gb without downloading, installing, making copies of, or deleting anything. Then another day I'd have 155gb. again, without doing anything.

I only got this "problem" on my new computer with windows vista. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just having a problem displaying the correct numbers. An example is that system requirements lab will say I have like 150.6gb of free space, but my computer tells me I have 145gb.

Comment

some bittorrent clients also cause wide discrepancies to appear in disk space

Comment

Like somebody said, get treesize. It will tell you exactly where all that space is going. Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Vista issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X