Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag reduction suggestions

I need em

Seems to be due to the draw distance. Anyone else have an odd amount of lag?

p4 2.8hz - 3 gig ram - x1300 512mb agp

Re: Lag reduction suggestions

yep draw distance, map size, amount of meshes and the number of bots are the biggest contributors to lag.

you could try altering the fog range in the maps init.con and sky.con or reduce the number of bots you are running in the ai\aidefault.ai file.

When I designed the AIX maps, I wanted to make big and detailed maps which due to the way the BF2 engine handles rendering, they run fine on high powered rigs, some of the less powerful rigs tend to struggle.

Developer wise, it creates quite a conundrum... do we exclude the higher system demand maps? thus excluding the percentage of the community with older spec hardware? or do we include it so that the purchasers of higher spec equipment can experience larger battles?

basically we have have taken the second option but included alot of lower demand maps so that everyone can have some fun in some form or another.

its worth mentioning that a talented mapper by the name of I'mTheHeadHunter has a mappack ready to roll out shortly so hopefully even the lower spec players will be able to have plenty of fun stomping grounds.

Comment

This Mod runs flawless with every setting at MAX for me. Lagless and smooth!

Great Job, Awesome Mod:salute:

Opteron170 2.0
      2 gig DDR
      8800GTS640

Comment

you know, there are romours if you rename your BF2.exe file into something like BF21.exe (and update your shortcuts) it will reduce lag.. i did it.. and it works.. o.O

Comment

If i recall correctly, the nvidia drivers may have an inbuilt profile for BF2.exe, so renaming the file would cause the nividia drivers to use its 'default' settings.

I *think* thats the case anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by DasRoach View Post
            If i recall correctly, the nvidia drivers may have an inbuilt profile for BF2.exe, so renaming the file would cause the nividia drivers to use its 'default' settings.

I *think* thats the case anyhow.

ah thanks!

Comment

Take a look down this page

I run mostly high but i have stuff like lighting and terrain on med/low which makes it a lot smoother.

Comment

I haven't tried AIX yet, but I know with the old version of Allied Intent, I always got a lot of studdering. Hopefully when I try this version, everything will be smooth.

Comment

Some maps are worse than others.

I don't own a "High End" machine.

BFG 7600 with 2gigs ram. Fine for 95% of everything.

It's those maps with heaps of "grass" (Power Plant), and lots of dynamic lighting (Dragon full moon).

The suggestions listed here should mitigate most of the issues
                  (in-game console adjustments for <drawing> things, lighting, etc.)

SUGGESTION:
                  Place some sort of icon or description <ON THE MAP at LOAD TIME> that describes...

"This map runs best with high end equipment"
                  or
                  "Your 2 year old ****e box is gonna gag on this map"

Comment

and lots of dynamic lighting (Dragon full moon)
                    actually, there's very little if any dynamic lighting in Dragon Valley Moon, it was just some very long-winded trickery when lightmapping it to make it appear that way. if you walk through a lit up area, you'll notice that your shadow still behaves as if it's coming from the sun (because it is)

we did discover a couple of things that were causing lag, the fixes for which we are including in the upcoming patch so hopefully that might make it easier for you to play it

Comment

Working...
                    X