Widely varying ping and server issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widely varying ping and server issues

Up until around last week, BF2 was fine. Then all of a sudden, I'm getting high pings on my favorite servers and I haven't done anything. At times, pings would be around 110-170 but then subsequent refreshes go up to 2500 and then plateaus at 300. And the server search is very slow and only comes up with about 200 servers where normally I'd get ~2000. And even after loading and getting onto a server, it works fine for a few seconds, then the map starts showing weird spawn buttons all over the place and then a problem with connections message comes up and it disconnects. What's going on?

Re: Widely varying ping and server issues

sounds like your ISP is the problem or their is a big increase in traffic in your routing.

Not much you can do but call the ISP with as much proof as possible and demand they contact the hop that is having the high traffic to boost the pipe.

Good luck.

Comment

Before getting on the phone to your isp, do the obvious thing:

look at possible causes in your home. Borrow a friend's router, or use an ethernet cable instead of wireless (if applicable), a different network card, anything to eliminate the possibility of any problems at your end. Because that's what your isp will tell you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sava700 View Post
        sounds like your ISP is the problem or their is a big increase in traffic in your routing.

Not much you can do but call the ISP with as much proof as possible and demand they contact the hop that is having the high traffic to boost the pipe.

Good luck.
        Hmm, I tried pinging the BF2 servers off of DOS and usually for about 20 times, average is around 90-110. Everything else seems fine, especially other online games I play. Logging onto account is same speed as always. It's just search and connecting to servers. One thing I notice though, there's still messages displayed on the top left hand corner (i.e kill notifications) so something's getting through. I pulled up the console just as soon as I get into a server and I notice that the messages freeze and disconnects occur right after punkbuster attempts to communicate to a main server or something. Now I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling PB, making sure PB for BF2 is on, checking program status in task manager, making sure windows and norton firewall accepts it, but nothing. The most progress I've gotten was actually physically spawning at a point, but hovering in midair there, no other players visible, and then disconnect. Could this still be a connection issue or punkbuster or both?

Comment

Originally posted by rwongega View Post
          making sure windows and norton firewall accepts it,

Umm... if your behind a router turn off Windows firewall and Uninstall everything you can find with Norton on it.. its a resource hog and no need for software firewalls when your behind a router which has a hardware firewall built in.

Comment

Originally posted by sava700 View Post
            Umm... if your behind a router turn off Windows firewall and Uninstall everything you can find with Norton on it.. its a resource hog and no need for software firewalls when your behind a router which has a hardware firewall built in.
            No router just the cable modem.

Other things I just tried were local LAN setups and searching for unranked servers. Both happened to function as normal. So I'm almost 99% sure it's not the connection itself anymore. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
            X