What makes BF2 so great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes BF2 so great?

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this thread and hopefully to take the time to make a decent reply.

I've been set an assignment at college to research a game and identify what makes it successful. I would be Greatly thankful if some of could tell me what you think is so good about battlefield 2 and why you believe its so popular / why you play it so much, from the visual style and gameplay etc.

Lots of detail is appreciated but not compulsory, even just a few lines will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: What makes BF2 so great?

EA's great support....jk.

seriously though, the mix of reality and the fact that it's simply a game is as good as it gets(IMO). also the point system is a fun way to motivate players.

Comment

Formula for success:

A.) Make loads of patches, but you can only count to 1.41

B.) In-game ads. We NEED in-game ads. We need "experts" to tell corporate fatcats that in-game ads rule! Because, they're "experts"!

C.) Stats system. The ultimate promoter of teamwork.

D.) As much emphasis as possible on teamwork, but make sure that can all be destroyed by one player.

E.) N/A

Comment

...in other words, what makes BF2 great is its unique ability to contradict itself. Everything cancels itself out, leaving a fun game.

Comment

For me it's dynamic gameplay. No matter how many times I've played a certain map, it never gets old b/c every game is different. Unlike other games that I quickly grow tired of, I never tire of BF2. It was the same way with BF42. I've bought dozens of games over the past 5 years and every one of them is on the shelf gathering dust right now.

And when I do eventually get tired of it, there are always the mods.

Comment

Not being a "gamer", when I first saw BF2, I was blown away by the realistic appearance of the game. Secondly, the game play is KILLER and INSTANTLY addictive.

While somewhat of a team-oriented game, I think its the one-on-one combat situations that get our blood really pumping. You're always seeking revenge on someone who pwned you (and if they T-Bagged you afterwards, you better believe that IT IS ON).

The rankings and awards are just another facet that keeps you coming back for more. I'm a complete junkie who's been hooked for 6 months and would play 24/7 if that was possible.

Comment

Well you get hooked with the whole stats at the star, i guess that even though the game has pretty poor mechanics it still has the fun factor to make you want to play it over and over.

Comment

For me I love BF2 and have passed on other newer games (Quake Wars, etc) because of:

- Teamwork - specifically working within squads
                - VOIP - This to me is the biggest component along with the squad formation. Typically I'm a squad leader and it's so rewarding to actually talk to you squad mates as well as the commander

Comment

a) its "features" sold itself at first. the whole commander and squad thing sounded awesome in theory

b) the scar-l <--awesomest gun ever!

c) new concepts...vehicles on huge maps...uhh wat other game did that?

d) pretty easy to play. like an arcade or something

e) stats system...we all have an ego...and wats a better way to show off than with stats!

Comment

I like the team gameplay getting to play with real peopple, talking to them and killing other real people trying to work against you, while using awesome weapons

Comment

Funny screaming when soldier dies, those sounds are hilarious

Comment

It promotes killing.

Cheers

Comment

I'd hate to, in a sense, ninja the threads topic of discussion... But a thread I was thinking of making would be too similar for me to warrant creating above this one.

But, could anyone answer to me, why so few people converted from BF2 to BF2142? And why there is almost always 3x more BF2 servers than BF2142 servers. I personally find 2142 way more enjoyable, for many reasons. The one defining trait I love about this game and have not seen much of in any other game though, is the air combat. That is why I still play it.

Comment

a) there wasnt really anything new in Bf2142
                            b) they dont have the scar-l
                            c) seeing how poor the support was for Bf2...alot of ppl didnt want to buy bf2142

Comment

Originally posted by lol_pl View Post
                              What makes BF2 so great?
                              Project Reality mod ofcource! Its the best thing that happened to BF2

Comment

Working...
                              X