No announcement yet.

BF 2 Freezing Ingame! Computer Crashes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF 2 Freezing Ingame! Computer Crashes!

Here's my problem:

BF2 runs fine @1440*900, no performance issues, having fun...then all of a sudden game freezes, can't do anything, plays the same sound that stutters constantly.

Here's my machine specifications:

Qx6700, 2G corsair dominator, xfx 8800 ultra, soundblaster xtremegamer. Runs every other game fine, just not BF series...

I also had this problem with BF 2142 on a different comptuer, so maybe there's something wrong with my ingame settigns? I basically maxed out the graphical and sound settings (including EAX), which I think is reasonable given the specs of my computer, so I'm wondering if anyone has encountered the same issue and has a fix for it. Thanks!

Re: BF 2 Freezing Ingame! Computer Crashes!

I've had this same problem also. It happens almost all the time on my first connection to Tampa, after I'm playing the map for a while it won't freeze. My computer has run this game on high settings for over 7 months with no freezes, so I know the settings aren't too much for it.

With the freeze I have to do a hard restart to get it out of it. Now when it freezes I wait for 4-5 min. and it comes out of it, with a connection to server was lost message, so I'm thinking punkbuster/network issue. I haven't tried this but I was wondering if unplugging the network cable during a freeze would get it out of the freeze faster.

So far I haven't found a solution to the issue.

Comment

Do you have all these patches that apply for your PC?

Comment

Originally posted by x.Ravage.x View Post
        Do you have all these patches that apply for your PC?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows..._hotfixes.html
        link doesn't work. What is it anyways?

And btw I do have the latest drivers for everything.

Comment

They are hotfixes. For Vista + BF2. With the new 8800 Series Cards. Usually its the cards giving them all problems. Wait till the links back online. I had the same problem and applied these patches and it worked. Now I just got this stupid ping problem.

Comment

BF2 is not meant for any other O/S other than XP and if your having problems tough luck, its not his drivers or anything of his, its the damn game and likely chance DICE will not be releasing any patches to fix the problem some Vista users are experiencing.

Comment

He didn't say anything about Vista. I'm using XP64 and still have the freeze he mentioned. Strange thing is it worked for over half a year with current settings.

Comment

sorry I forgot to mention that I'm running XP Professional. Can't get myself to do vista without any service pack out....just too many software issues.

So it's clearly not a vista problem, I don't think my hardware is to blame either since it runs any other game fine (And I had this same damn freeze in 2142 on a DIFFERENT computer). The only problems I can think of are in-game settings or software issues.

I have a feeling it's VERY LIKELY related to punkbuster + internet. But I'm kinda hesistant to play on non-pb servers. Are they ranked/legit/filled with cheaters? If anyone has played on any good ones please let me know. Thanks

Comment

If this is a hardware software issue it would happen every time you play BF2, online and off.

If you have the same freeze I do it doesn't happen every match, just once in awhile. I've noticed the game will start to lag just before the freeze, and the freeze usually happens in the first minute to 3 minutes of the match.

Comment

hi guys...i also have this odd freezing issue....for about 8 seconds and game resumes (of course now i'm dead) always seems to happen when in direct combat with chopper or hand to hand etc.....perhaps more graphics intense or dealing with others packets on server? the game worked fine when i first got the machine 5 months ago......this happens on every map and i even re-installed the game...between the cheaters and now this i almost wanna give up playin.....HELP! lol 100,000 points bf2
                    intel core 2 duo e6600
                    nvidia 7950 gt 512 meg driver 6.14.10.9424
                    4 gig ram

Comment

hay there mate im having the same problem but with an ATI X1950XT also on XP

heres my thred

and my specs:
                      system specs:
                      Windows XP - SP2
                      Motherboard - Asus P5W DH Deluxe
                      CPU - Intel DualCore E6600 - 2.4Ghz
                      RAM - 3GB - Crutial - 800hz
                      HDD - 1 Raptop [74] (10,000RPM) and 1 normal [250GB] (7,000RPM)
                      Graphics/C - ATI Radeon X1950XT

Please could you help, thank you very much :salute:

Comment

Oh good can I join in with this one.

C2D E6600 some times stock 2.4Ghz and sometimes OC'd 3.0Ghz
                        8800GTS 162.18 forceware drivers
                        Xi-fi Soundblaster
                        2 Gig Ram
                        P5B Deluxe Wifi
                        Win XP SP2

Like alot of folk I played the game without any issues whatsoever for 3 or 4 months then got bored out it about 2 months back. Came back to play it again the other day, first day no problems, second day lockup I managed to alt tab out Windows came back up after about 2 minutes or so I clicked the BF2 icon and was brought back in to the game where it played for about 30 seconds before locking up and BSOD. It's done this now a couple of times checking the error reports for the BSOD brought up a problem for the GPU some infinite loop garbage. MS solution was to a). update drivers, nope sorry not doing that they are perfectly stable in every other game and where stable in BF2 for 4 months or b). get a new card, yeah like I am gonna do that.

Played to day got a BSOD and again reported it this time it said it was a stop error and their was no solution for it.

I've noticed a pattern though. Karkand whilst playing a sniper and in sniper zoom mode, every time it's crashed same level doing the same thing. It worked perfectly fine 2 months ago and the only changes I've made to the system since then... new backup HD, installed Firefox and a new mouse a MS Habu.

Also noticed when it happens Core 0 goes ballistic, 98% - 100% load until the system either crashes or I can recover. Core 1 goes from 15 - 20% up to 40%.

Oh yeah I also managed to recover the PC when I got punted out with the connection to server lost msg.

Comment

I used to have this problem a couple years ago with my 7800 GT. It would lock up and repeat the same noise over and over again. It would sometimes come out of it after 5 seconds or so, but usually I would have to restart or something of the sort. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but IIRC I think it was a temperature problem, but don't quote me on that one.

Comment

I can 100% confirm that it isn't a temp issue at least on my rig. 70C max at full load which is barely a few degrees more than my Zalman cooled 6800GS ran at under full load.

Comment

*Not using RiverTuner.
                              *No longer installed bioshock.
                              *Dont have Xfire.
                              *Installed all the XP updates, Fully upto-date.
                              *All graphic settings set on Highest incluing AntiAneything (1680 X 1050)

AND NO CRASH! YEY.
                              It appears to be fixed, ill give it a test with Xfire tomorrow and see if Xfire is causing the crash.
                              Been playing for 3 Hrs and not one crash so touch wood all is good.

(NOT A TEMP ISSUE!)

Comment

Working...
                              X