How proactive should a commander be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How proactive should a commander be?

I was wondering if you could share how proactive you are when playing commander. I noticed a lot of games are lost because of a lack of coordination. For instance, squads do not stick together but members are scattered all over the map, squads do not team up to cap a flag, members walk into the same trap over and over again. Do you guys use advanced commands, such as divide squad and so forth? With a little bit of organization, it would be much easier to win. Sometimes, Battlefield 2 seems like Lemmings 3D lol

Re: How proactive should a commander be?

Originally posted by wtrtwnguy
    I was wondering if you could share how proactive you are when playing commander. I noticed a lot of games are lost because of a lack of coordination. For instance, squads do not stick together but members are scattered all over the map, squads do not team up to cap a flag, members walk into the same trap over and over again. Do you guys use advanced commands, such as divide squad and so forth? With a little bit of organization, it would be much easier to win. Sometimes, Battlefield 2 seems like Lemmings 3D lol
    bf2 vanilla^^^

play mods

Comment

well no matter wat a commander does...theres only a 2% chance his guys will listen to him

Comment

"You are the WORST squad I've ever set eyes on!"

I use that one a lot.

Comment

commanders are overrated. they try to do too much.

Comment

I love commanders, they are the key to a victory win! When ever I am commander I stay behind and set clays for the sneaky sneaky enemies who avoids combat just to get to the back base.

Comment

Commander should do what he wants. He is a better asset to his team running around killing people and dropping uavs, than sitting in a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by mwillin0000
                commanders are overrated. they try to do too much.
                Actually, I think they are underrated. it is hard to win if all players run aimlessly over the map. I have played a few games where the commander made a big difference. Also, a few times, I joined a game where there was no commander, with the odds being about 70vs220 against us, applied to be the commander and managed to turn it around thanks to some great players who actually appreciated what I was doing. That was fun. But does not happen very often.

Also, the best thing for a commander to do, is IMHO NOT to run around and kill people but sit back and defend the key base (i.e. defend the commander assets & the associated flag). Nothing worse than leaving your main base undefended.

Comment

in my opinion, commanders differ depending on the game/map etc.

eg. on wake i think the commander should hide and command and not battle. altough i have seen rad as commanders running all over the joint.. owning peeps and still find time to drop sh1t, uav, arty, give orders etc.

Comment

I'm a fighting commander. I only stay away from aircrafts when I command, but I use all the other vehicles, unless someone requests it. Also I never ignore requests for supply drops etc, but once again, I do fight.
                    For those of you that don't agree that the commander should fight, I have a question: If you see some of your flags are being attacked, and your team is ingoring your orders to defend them, are you gonna do something about it or continue sitting in your hideout?
                    Also when you see a undefended enemy flag that once again your team is ignoring your orders to cap, are you gonna sit in your corner and do nothing or you're gonna cap it by yourself? Having more flags than the enemy is the key to your victory.

Comment

A non-fighting commander is a wasted player.

[I only play karkand]

As MEC I will sit at the square, killing off any attacks to the suburb/ train/ gatehouse, and as USMC will sneak round to Suburb.

I do not tell the squads what to do unless they ask for it, instead put up UAV's and scans, and telling the team the general location of all enemies- e.g "all on UAV". If someone is heading for a flag, I will scan and tell them how many people are there, and spot them if there are people. If someone has just taken a flag, I will scan, tell them how many enemy are at the other flags, and recommend which ones they take.

I'm a very active commander.... usually as active as I generally am fighting on the frontline.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen.Vlade
                        I'm a fighting commander. I only stay away from aircrafts when I command, but I use all the other vehicles, unless someone requests it. Also I never ignore requests for supply drops etc, but once again, I do fight.
                        For those of you that don't agree that the commander should fight, I have a question: If you see some of your flags are being attacked, and your team is ingoring your orders to defend them, are you gonna do something about it or continue sitting in your hideout?
                        Also when you see a undefended enemy flag that once again your team is ignoring your orders to cap, are you gonna sit in your corner and do nothing or you're gonna cap it by yourself? Having more flags than the enemy is the key to your victory.
                        ^^^thats bf2 vanilla for ya, if you ever do find a group that does follow your oders i'd make it a favorite, cause its rare.
                        dead commander is no good, he has full time job if he does it right , when all the buttons are reloading, time to manually spot out enemies, i do belive ike you could camp a good spot to cmnd from , i like to do it with a sniper & if i see a enemy like a easy kill for me,i'll drop my screen , bust his brains out on the ground with 1 shot & go back to cmnding.:salute:

Comment

Commanders who fight are worthless. Why? For the simple fact that while they are fighting, they aren't COMMANDING! Commanding is a full time job if done correctly. In the time it takes a commander to engage in a brief firefight (and therefore unable to command), an enemy squad or even a lone soldier could cap a flag in your rear area and there goes the game. I cannot stress enough the importance of placing UAV where it is needed, scanning, and spotting the enemy units who may be trying to sneek behind your lines. You cannot do this if you are fighting. There is only one circumstance in which a commander should engage the enemy directly. My routine is to hide a couple of C4 charges around a couple of the most likely flags in the rear that are the target of infiltration, and in the event that you spot the enemy going for said flag and no one from your team responds, you can take them out yourself. Other than that, stay away from the fighting.

And if you are a fighting commander, I sincerely hope I play against you because you will lose.

Comment

I have three different playstyles for commanding.

#1. Small Map Server, Fighting Commander - On a small map, the most you need to do as a Commander is drop supply boxes, and keep UAV up. That means I'm most useful on the front lines, helping my team out in any way possible. That means playing as a Medic, and ressurecting them whenever it's safe; or playing as support dropping kits at their feet so they can grenade spam to their hearts content. It doesn't matter to me. The more kill sand points they get, and the less tickets they lose from dying; the better off the team is. Not to mention my end of round score.

I rather find this fun. It's unique, and it helps out hugely on these small maps. Especially if you're playing against top-notch competition. That means if they have a commander and you don't, I guarantee they will ALWAYS get the drop on you. So whats the solution? Be a commander yourself, and keep the pressure on them. Eventually they'll crack and you'll help your team cap some flags by force.

#2. Large Map Server, Flag Defense Commander - For the larger maps, where there are plenty of jets, and helicopters flying by, nothing is more helpful to the team than having a commander spotting, and UAV'ing at every possible moment. However, any person who is playing and NOT fighting, is a waste of a body. So at the very least, I could defend the flag from incoming enemies. This means, playing as an Engineer/AT and using AT Mines/Rockets for the armor, and sitting in a .50 cal jeep, waiting for any helicopters or infantry foolish enough to come into range. Sorry if I can't keep all the enemies spotted, but look at it this way. At least you have one less flag to worry about on the road to victory.

I do this all the time. It's actually a lot of fun to do as a commander. Any halfway decent team will use the constant spotting to their advantage, giving every single person on your team a distinct advantage over the enemy who only has a UAV and their own spotting to rely on.

#3. Organized Play, Pure Commanding Commander - This is a no brainer. If you're playing in an organized match, chances are you won't be playing against any newbies, or fools. So defending a flag is out of the question if you can't devote your full attention to your surroundings. Worse yet, since this is organized play, you NEED to keep every enemy on the HUD Mini-Map for your team. UAV isn't as important here, but it certainly helps. Vehicle and Supply Drops are damned crucial.

I've only done this once for my clan, and I probably won't be able to do it again since there are far more competitant commanders out there able to fill this roll. If you play this way all the time on a public server where the competition is vastly inferior to organized gaming, you're doing nothing but hurting your team by not taking care of your own flags and assets.

Comment

Play karkand alot and the only time i ever fight for either team is when people are fighting for gatehouse / cement factory / train accident. Whereas no-one wants to camp the river for that 1 guy that will inevitably cross to get flags, as commander i sit there and command, and take them out as they try to cross, stopping them from taking the flags either side.

However the amount of times i see a commander fighting, doing UAV etc but the odd flag gets taken here and there with no warning, that's when i get annoyed. If your gonna fight, make sure you can command to the level needed aswell!

Comment

Working...
                              X