1 gb ram
    ASUS A8v-vm
    Win xp
    Cable internets

Previously the system had

3000 athalon
    1 gb ram
    win xp

It ran BF fine, now it runs good for about a min then lags out unplayable. How is that possible. Everything else seems to run fine.

Re: Upgrade and worse performance?

Does it work in singleplayer? Only lag in multiplayer? Have you tried AMD's dual-core optimizer? Installed chipset drivers and checked cooling?

Its probably punkbuster though.

Comment

hmm did u install new drivers

also from what ive heard....8500 isnt that great of a card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the data is old since i dont really keep up with the new video card news anymore, but yeah.

Comment

The 8500 isnt great, but come on it should run bf2.

Found out the problem is the mobo throttles down the voltage when the temp hits 48 C. Worse part is, this feature can not be turned off. So either I have to find some badass cooling, or return the mobo.

Comment

aw that sucks. my comp averages pretty close to 42 celsius with just normal use

Comment

hmmm...probably going from an older mid-end card to a newer low-end card had something to do with it.

can't imagine a scenario in which a 8500gt>6600xx. both are 128-bit cards, the 8500 will have more memory that Vista could use for aero, but not bf2/xp, the 8500 may even have slower clocks depending on which model 6600 you had. also possible you went from gddr3 to gddr2, but i doubt it.

i don't think bf2 takes advantage of dual cores (not very cpu-intensive anyway, except for software sounds, usb headset, inputs, etc), either, so you'd expect roughly comparable processing power from both those. the x2 core-opty would make running voice chat/hard rock in the background ALOT more comfy)

so, that's pretty much what you got out of the upgrade: a processor that will let you do more in the background (watch your memory usage though).

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
              i don't think bf2 takes advantage of dual cores (not very cpu-intensive anyway, except for software sounds, usb headset, inputs, etc), either, so you'd expect roughly comparable processing power from both those. the x2 core-opty would make running voice chat/hard rock in the background ALOT more comfy)

BF2 is hefty on the CPU, my FPS halves in a 64-man (multiplayer) server, even in places where there isn't anybody.

Edit: No it isn't, just rechecked. Doesn't even max out my CPU at 2.4GHz, hovers around 60% & 30% per respective core. When I get near the firefight (within draw distance) performance just goes straight down, WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by amndunncw View Post
                Found out the problem is the mobo throttles down the voltage when the temp hits 48 C. Worse part is, this feature can not be turned off. So either I have to find some badass cooling, or return the mobo.

Thanks for the replies, but as I posted earlier, the problem was this^

Just for anyone else who may ever encounter it.

Comment

Working...
                X