Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista BF2 Multiplayer constant hard drive access problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista BF2 Multiplayer constant hard drive access problem.

System Specs:
    Amd Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    Abit AN9-32x Fatal1ty
    2x BFG 7800GT OC in Sli mode
    2gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
    Western Digital 200gb SATA
    Nvidia 163.71
    Windows Vista Ulitmate 32bit
    Windows Onecare
    ADSL 3mb/768k

Problem i am having has only started in the past 4 weeks. I can fire up battlefield 2 with zero problems. I can play single player for hours without any problems. However in the past 4 weeks if i connect to a multplayer server after about anywhere from 1 to 5 mins my hard drive light will start flashing a lot. Then go pretty much solid. My FPS doesnt drop (seen via renderer.drawfps 1) however the game starts to just get choppy. Sometimes so bad that it almost looks like its rendering one frame a second. Its almost like lag but it isnt. It will eventually stop but sure as rain it will come back soon enough and start all over again. Its almost like either the ram is being ate up and its having to cache to the HD or PB is just scanning and bogging me down at times.

What i have tried to solve this:
    1. I used pbsvc to remove the service.
    2. Went into every directory on my hard drive finding anything PB related and deleted it.
    3. downloaded pbsetup to reinstall punkbuster
    4. tried different nvidia graphics drivers.
    5. tried different nvidia motherboard drivers
    6. Reinstalled windows vista
    7. reinstalled the game
    8. tried intalling the game before installing any antivirus
    9. disabled superfetch
    10. disabled windows defender
    11. tried pb_sleep 500
    12. Tried pb_system 0 (pb trouble ticket gave me that)
    13. tried a pb trouble ticket (no real help other than the copy/paste FAQ they have)
    14. ran prime95 to stress test the cpu, memtest86+ for the ram, 3dmark06 for the video card. did this for 24 hours

What is odd that this problem doesnt happen at all under XP. It works great there. Just happens under vista. However like i said, prior to 4 weeks ago bf2 worked great on Vista. The only thing i can think of is thats when PB services was forced upon us.

If anyone has any help i would really appreciate it. I have searched all over the web and i have found some others having this issue but no one has solved it. I like Vista and it runs things great for me. Id hate to go back to XP just because the Multiplayer BF2 has this issue (which i think is a pb problem).

I could be way off but it seems thats what is causing the problem. I havent been able to test this out by playing online with a non pb server because either those servers have high ping, are locked with a pw, or no one is on. However if the single player works flawlessly then im just assuming its PB under the multiplayer.

Re: Vista BF2 Multiplayer constant hard drive access problem.

As far as I know a lot of people experience this, including me. I have also tried all the above things, but to no avail

Comment

Im in the same boat. Bf has worked great under vista up until a few weeks ago. i believe punkbuster is the problem also. Just need to wait for the next "fix" hmmmm

Comment

It sucks, I know. The problem fixed itself when I added another 1GB of ram.

Comment

Im glad to know im not the only one having this problem...however it sucks there isnt a solution :/

Odd thing is though BF2142 works fine under vista with these PB services. Its like BF2 has the plauge when using them.

Its crap like this that causes this game to look bad to new people to the game :/

Thanks for the replies everyone

Comment

Thats a strange problem. Have you tried adjusting page file usage?

I'm not sure how it's done in Vista though.

Comment

Just tried manually setting the page file to 3gb. Didnt help :/

Comment

Did you install the hotfixes for Vista? They're linked to on the nVidia download page.

Comment

If you are talking about the virtual memory hotfix i have installed that. I also installed both compatibility and performance packs. The only one i didnt install is the DX10 hotfix because i dont have a DX10 card.

I found this on www.slizone.com on the forums there.

I take back what i said about BF2142..im not 100 percent sure but i think its sorta happening there as well. Not nearly as bad as BF2 but i kinda think it happens to a very small degree with bf2142 as well.

I wish PB would fix this. The reply i got from their support ticket was just the FAQ telling me what to do but blaming it on my system. They ignore that it works fine under XP for me and that every stress test i can find passes.

Comment

I did solve some lag problems a while back by setting the page file to access an unused tertiary drive instead of the main HDD. Try that if you have an extra drive.

Comment

I have an extra drive. I might give that a shot. Couldnt hurt anything

Edit:

Well i moved the pagefile over to the other hd and i added a 1gb flash drive for readyboost.

I will see if this helps at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X