pc bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc bbq

Recently, my second-story Southern CA apt toasted up to over 90 degress (sorry, no A/C) - it was merciless. The only way to beat the heat is to continue computing, so I did so ..until my PC shutdown automatically - I figured as a result the heat of the apt effecting the processor, etc. The PC was built-from-scratch last year by a capable friend and I was under the impression that my processor, graphics card and powersupply fans could handle 'anything.'

It's cooled back down now, but ever since that original shutdown my machine seizes/shutsdown (doesn't auto-restart) regularly when my application usage is intense, e.g. (particularly when) playing Battlefield2 or - let's say - running a combination of a zillion (30 or so) tabs in Firefox with iTunes and Photoshop processing. Ripping data off my homemade DVDs is also a shutdown culprit. My widget that monitors cpu/mem gets up into 90% - on both counts - when in the past it used to breeze through similar application usage situations.

Anyway, I'm under the impression that perhaps the processor was damaged from the heat that weekend ..and/or perhaps the video card, hard drive, mother board and/or possibly the RAM. I'd like to fix the suspect component(s) and get on with my life.

1. is there a good diagnostic tool to tell which hardware is damaged?
    2. are these symptoms a specific idicator of which hardware is damaged?
    3. thanks for your help!

My system:
    - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Processor
    - BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    - BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit PCI Express Video Card
    - HIPER ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply
    - MASSCOOL 80mm Case Fan
    - Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    - CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR SDRAM

Re: pc bbq

It should have shut down before anything has damaged. Start by running memtest86 on the RAM, maybe prime95 to test the CPU?

Comment

Sometimes, when a system overheats this can adversely affect the thermal grease on your CPU and possibly GPU and wherever thermal grease is used. So, I would suggest removing your CPU cooler, cleaning the cooler and CPU surface from old thermal grease, and reapplying a thin layer of new, high quality thermal grease.

Just as a disclaimer: Be careful not to damage / chip your CPU while doing this. Do not attempt to run your computer without a CPU cooler, even for a second.

Comment

thanks kindly!

Comment

Working...
        X