How well does a BF2 SERVER run on an OC'ed q6600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well does a BF2 SERVER run on an OC'ed q6600

This thread is not exactly the same as my other and is more intented for people who actually run personal BF2 mod servers whether dedicated or not. So please don't close it yet. It's my fault for not being clear about what I actually wanted to know in my pervious thread about an oc'ed q6600, so i'm starting a new one to find out exactly what I wanted to know in the first place, because I can't find any info about this.

Like i said in my pervious thread, I will be using my new q6600 cpu for not only playing BF2 but also for running game servers. I was planning on running some BF2 mods, though now im not so sure if I should even bother seeing as how i'm probably going to be flamed by the same people who seem so ungrateful that i was even considering it.

Anyway, I wanted to know how BF2 plus a BF2 server run on an OC'ed q6600 and what kind of stability issues there might be. Is it even possible to run BF2 with a Dedicated server running at the same time on the same computer? If it is possible, what kind of problems can I expect? And yes, I know BF2 runs on one cpu core on a multi core cpu. I want to know because if there will be issues I may not bother overclocking at all. Though I would still like to know about any other issues with running BF2 and a server on the same computer at the same time.

*Editi* Almost forgot that I would also like to know of any issues with both windows and linux if there are any at all.

Re: How well does a BF2 SERVER run on an OC'ed q6600

You can't run the game on the same computer you're running the game on, iirc..

You can either use it to play, or run a server, but not both.

Comment

So this is possible to play BF2 while you have dedicated server running. Problems: sometimes can be windows or either BF bugs, for sure the ping will be higher, but I think you won't have any problems connected with performance- you will have 4cores so no problem! What GPU will you have? You don't have to be scared od OC, go for it. But remember to have very good cooling, it has 4cores and as i remember it produce 135w(not clocked) of power so it will burn as hell. If you want to have AC go for Mugen or Thermalright Ultra, but if you want very strong OC for for Water Cooling

edit:
      Originally posted by Garabaldi View Post
      You can't run the game on the same computer you're running the game on, iirc..

You can either use it to play, or run a server, but not both.
      You are sure of it? Well i'm not sure about my statement, when I was playing SWAT 4 i can play and run dedicated server on the same time, so I think that BF2 too... or maybe not

Comment

- Which OS will you be running?
        - What kind of internet connection do you have?
        - How many people will be connecting to your server?

You can run a server and a client on the same machine, but you have to be using different sessions, it cannot be under the same session. If you are using Windows2003 Terminal server, then definitely you can be running the server under a session, and the client under anoter session.

With Linux it should be even easier to do.

Comment

If I do overclock my cpu it will be from as little as 260mhz to match the speed of the q6700 or as high as 3ghz. Though i will only overclock near the start of winter, because atm it is still quite hot outside and my house heats up something awful. I have two 120mm and two 80mm fans cooling my case. It was doing quite well during the summer.

I was planning on using linux once i have a decent serial ata drive for it for the server, but i'm also considering getting windows server 2k3 since I don't know linux too well. I don't even know what distro to use for a server. A friend of mine suggested using a free virtual desktop emulator program for running linux on my everyday xp drive since I would have 4 cpu cores. I would only do that if I can't get windows server 2k3 right now and a new serial ata drive dedicated to a server.

At the moment i'm currently using 1.5mb dsl from Verizon with 384k upload. I get about 40-48k of true upload bandwidth, more than enough for running small servers that support up to 12 people. Though I know thats not nearly enough for a BF2 server for a decent sized 24-32 client server which is what im shooting for once i have a better line. I've never ran a BF2 server before so I don't know yet how many clients my current line will handle without lag.

My father says he got an email letting him know that Verizon is planning on installing FIOS in the area soon. Though I have no idea what soon means for Verizon. So once FIOS is available I will have much higher upload speed better suited to a Dedicated server.

Comment

Working...
          X