• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Wars Demo out!

Download:

Official Torrent:

Re: Quake Wars Demo out!

FoxhoundlRED is my playername. I have gone through ****load of mess to get this game to run... Ive had some odd bugs to deal with, but from the 5 minutes I played it, I loved it.

Comment

Wait i'm confused - didnt a demo of quake wars come out before and everyone was all dissapointed

Comment

Originally posted by x + 95 = 4x - 10
        Wait i'm confused - didnt a demo of quake wars come out before and everyone was all dissapointed
        That's why that demo is called a Beta. Gives them time to fix the issues.

I am really enjoying the heck out of it and probably have a couple hours in play time. If you've playe Enemy Territory you should enjoy ETQW. I will warn you that ETQW has a more arcade style feel than BF2 but it's fast paced action by comparison.
        "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt." -John Winger (Bill Murray) Stripes

Comment

Saw you on "Drunk and Disorderly" yesterday.

Met an ex clanmate from SWAT4 who whooped my *** too, was embarrasing because I used to walk over him in SWAT4 as if he was nothing, hahaha. And we both had 180 for ping!

Comment

ill give it a go but a lot of ppl say it sucks.

Comment

My minireview

Quake Wars Ducking Sucks!
              Naw, not really. I remember the enthusiasm I felt when BF2142 was about to come out (Titan mode was something a teamplayer dreamed of... until yeah...), I remember the videeos of the Titan mode and figured Bf2142 was the stop for me. The Demo was a severe letdown and I had to hop back to BF2, until the point where I just couldnt load it up because I was disgusted by it (take it as overdose, too much playing). So then my eyes saw ETQW. Im really not a player of this type (Rainbow Six, SWAT4- you get the picture). And yeah, Im an ex BF2 player aswell then.

So much for the background, lets move on to initial impressions.

Ive accumulated about 1 hour of gametime, the game is confusing the d!ck out of me. Its really hard to pick up if you expect to start grooving in it. The game is faster paced, and theres no clunkyness that BF2142 had. The player seems almost free (in motion) and the altered firefights dynamics (compared to BF2) are welcomed. I spent an hour on MoonGamers server where my ping was 180 ms, and let me say that this is by far my biggest surprise- hit detection WITHOUT lagshooting! Now who the hell would have thought of that! Especially when I was so used to shooting ahead of the targets, ETQW amazed me with really great hit detection. As a newbie to this type of game, I accumulated about 2:1 KDR on the humans side, and about 1:1 KDR on Strogg side. Strogg firearms seem worse, except for that minigun thingy. The nailgun looks really good aswell, great potential for ownage right there.

Vehicles seem bad though. Compared to BF2 theres no real contest. They are too responsive (for vehicles, realism argument is unnecessary here) and too "light". Im disappointed that air vehicles are less skill based (compared to BF2). Its probably going down the road where "it takes skill to own, but it doesnt take skill to fly", which means the dimensions and the whole exploitation of aerial vehicles maneuverability is extremely limited (and I dislike that).

There wasnt really much that I disliked though, Ive mentally prepared myself for a few surprises like the air vehicles (which was pretty much it). I do dig the ground combat possibilities and the map design is flawless (almost). The spot where the surroundings for the shield gen have been completely barricaded against vehicles is a damn good move. Infantry does the job there.

Im looking forward to get adjusted to the user interface (the chat, team, fireteam and that extra little jazz), as 1 hour clearly isnt enough. Too bad theres no VOIP though, it was probably one of the worst decisions on the developers part. Not everyone is running TS and not everyone knows the IP for pub servers, especially when you cant alt tab out to log in TS in the middle of the game.

Anyway, potential is there, looking forward to frag and brag. Its not going to be my game of choice in the long run (I sold my soul to R6V and Crysis), but the vaccuum has definitely been filled.

7.5/10

Comment

Quake Wars demo is everything I expected it to be (ET) and that is why I love it. I can`t wait till the full version appears behind my door. 20 days left, or something like that.

Mods are gonna be awesome too.

Comment

I was playing it this morning. I guess I should have worked harder to try to get into the beta program. I spent a lot of time just screwing around, figuring out the keys and commands. I did not try to tweak my options, graphics, or settings. Just jumped right in and went to town.

It was fun, but kinda slow. Might be because there were only 11 people on the 32 player map. I had to remember how to play Quake all over. I wanted to sprint with a double forward, but forgot I needed to use <shift>. And I also played the Strogg so there was some initiation to the weapons too.

It is going to be fun to play...but I am wondering at this point if it is going to really win me over from BF2.

I guess a positive thing is, I have had the name RocketChild reserved for some time now. So, if I do commit to it, I'll be there.

Comment

Personally, I think it sucks. The game is way to jumpy and the textures look like crap. Its not my computer either, my computer is pretty top notch if I don't say so myself. Runs all the games on high anyway, without lag.

Comment

Newest drivers and FPS unlocking would work fine. Im running all settings on MED and the game looks sweet, better than BF2 does.

Comment

I run all setting on high without shadows. Game looks amazing even then.

Comment

I tweaked up my graphics last night and gave it another go. Still playing the Strogg and getting used to the fact that I don't really need to lead my target much. It is mostly trying to hit dead center on the guy. It was a little more fun with more people this time around. Still though, it kinda feels slow and I have not found much coheasion with people. No one forms squads and I think there really is going to be a handicap the game not having built in VOIP. I recall an conversation over at TotalQW about it and it was a mixed feeling about if VOIP would be good or bad built in. Well, after playing several hours in QWs, with it not having the great comm-rose that BF2 has, I think it really sucks not having VOIP.

I'll keep playing though, I am still enjoying it enough to give it more time. But it is hard to adjust to the confinements of a QuakeWars style map there is is all restricted to certain objectives. I thought it might be fun, but when you are a player that likes to back door the other team, it is annoying.

Comment

The game crashes everytime I try and load it up

Comment

Yeah, my friend is having issues with the graphics quality. I told him he needs to update his drivers. Maybe that will work for you aswell?

Comment

Working...
                              X