Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT IF i DON'T FORMAT???

Hey folks,

I have a Asus Crosshair MB that's been sitting in my room for the past 9 months and I've wanted to install it for the longest time.. Well today is my day to do it but I really don't feel like going through the entire MB install headache and THEN go through the windows format...

So my question is; How bad is it to just uninstall the MB drivers and install the ne MB drivers over the existing version of windows? This will only be temporary until I have enough time to do a full format and windows install but I was just curious to see what y'all think. Lemme know

Cheers and I look forward to killing you (online) soon!!!!!

AKULA

Re: WHAT IF i DON'T FORMAT???

Waiting nine months to install a motherboard? You're bloody retarded.

Just stick it in, configure the BIOS, then use your XP cd to do an upgrade/repair installation (it redetects the hardware, which is what you need to get done).

There are a few guides on doing it cleanly, Google it.

Comment

Not bloody retarded, bloody SMART

Bought the MB in Jan
      Jan 18th, Got into accident and wrote off car. Immediately got 5 witnesses to testify on my behalf
      Deemed 100% NOT at fault so again... SMART
      Got a nice insurance settlement
      Bought an 02 AUDI A4 Quattro!!!!
      and haven't had any money to buy a CPU or RAM for the MB...

So I do have my priorities and besides... The Audi is WAYYYY more fun to drive than a FAST PC

Thanks for the Info Camper.... Hey haven't we fought together on the SF Tampa server???

Comment

Originally posted by AKULA View Post
        Hey folks,

I have a Asus Crosshair MB that's been sitting in my room for the past 9 months and I've wanted to install it for the longest time.. Well today is my day to do it but I really don't feel like going through the entire MB install headache and THEN go through the windows format...

So my question is; How bad is it to just uninstall the MB drivers and install the ne MB drivers over the existing version of windows? This will only be temporary until I have enough time to do a full format and windows install but I was just curious to see what y'all think. Lemme know

Cheers and I look forward to killing you (online) soon!!!!!

AKULA
        Why do you want to install your Asus mb anyway? changing mobos is a mission and there's no point in doing it unless you want a new gfx card, new processor etc. If you're doing it just to put your old cards and peripherals back on there's no point...
        besides if you're not a fairly advanced PC user you'll probably end up in a worse situation than you started, for instance not being able to boot, fans not turning, etc.

Comment

I AM a fairly advanced PC user, builder and installer of PC things lol.... I just always reformatted my HD and reinstalled windows when I'd do a new build. This time I'm researching the practicality of doing it the easy way.... Like I said though, this will only be temporary... When I get my A$$ in gear and reinstall windows, I figure that will be a greater headache... Hence the reason behind delaying that scenario.

Yeah it's a mission. I completely agree. Hell it takes me 2 full weeks of placing all my programs back where they were and get back to square one after a complete reinsall of XP. Also going from an MSI K8N NEO 4 Platinum to the Crosshair is totally different. It requires a new CPU and RAM so it will be a significant increase in performance.

Comment

Well if you like missions your work is cut out for you then.

Comment

Originally posted by AKULA View Post
              Not bloody retarded, bloody SMART

Bought the MB in Jan
              Jan 18th, Got into accident and wrote off car. Immediately got 5 witnesses to testify on my behalf
              Deemed 100% NOT at fault so again... SMART
              Got a nice insurance settlement
              Bought an 02 AUDI A4 Quattro!!!!
              and haven't had any money to buy a CPU or RAM for the MB...

So I do have my priorities and besides... The Audi is WAYYYY more fun to drive than a FAST PC

Thanks for the Info Camper.... Hey haven't we fought together on the SF Tampa server???

Oh, I thought you bought it, stuffed it in a cupboard and waited for it to give birth

You don't need to reinstall windows whatsoever. All you need to do is get it to redetect all hardware, especially the hardware abstraction layer. You can try using Sysprep, and keep the installation completely intact - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577. It takes me around 8 hours to fully reinstall windows and have pretty much the exact same installation minus problems. Just make a secondary partition with all the program installation files, service packs, windows updates, and registry tweaks and so on, then it's a matter of sifting through endless dialog screens.

Don't know about fighting in-game, but I may have seen someone with your name.

Comment

Working...
              X