Wake Air Show server crash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake Air Show server crash...

I can't find a solution and thought someone here might be able to help.

Ok, so we're running Wake Air Show on a server. Everything is going great. Then one particular user logs in, selects a spawn and when they click "spawn" or "join" or whatever the button at the bottom-right is.... the server crashes. Every time. Just that one user (that I know of) and the worst part is this player was on at one point by himself with no problems....

The server puts out a message "Unable to create kit" or something very similar. But, on W.A.S. there is only one kit, the "pilot" kit.

He does not use hacks, he's an =SoE= clan member. And, since he's a clan member I'd rather not ban him from logging onto our server...

Any ideas that could help, plz let me know.

Thanks

Re: Wake Air Show server crash...

odd... but are you guys the same as in this quote?

No matter what the game companies do, people that desire to cheat are going to break through, sooner or later. And usually sooner.

I remember when SOE decided to update their encryption on the server-client transactions to defeat ShowEQ. ShowEQ was a packet sniffing application that people would run on a Linux box, and it would supply area maps, mob info, etc. (The plane of Hate had a few invisible, untargetable mobs that were named "ShowEQ Users Suck". Only people who used it or knew about the program knew about those mobs.)

SOE went to either a 64-bit or 128-bit encryption with this new version, and were changing it with every client patch. They figured they had quite a bit of time on their hands, and ShowEQ would be disabled for quite some time.

I do believe they hacked the encryption in 2 days, and really less than 24hrs. And the coders for ShowEQ made it so you could put a .dll on your machine (and everyone named it differently so SOE couldn't detect a common name) that would pass the encryption code to the Linux machine.

All they did was increase the entrance requirements, which had become a joke. At one point, to use ShowEQ, you had to know enough to set up a Linux box, compile the ShowEQ programs from source, and keep it updated with each patch. Then folks started to sell pre-installed Linux boxes that auto-updated themselves, auto-compiled the program, and there was only a dollar amount entry fee. SOE took that back, but the smart people kept on going.

Mind you, ShowEQ really wasn't THAT great. The biggest thing was having maps for zones that you couldn't have in-game maps for. Once SOE gave us a mapping function for all but a few zones, it wasn't worth keeping updated. But people still did it, and other folks complained about the competitive disadvantage of maps.

So, people will find a way, and use it. Heck, there were people out there wanting to use Sony's flawed DRM stuff to hide hacks from Blizzard. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Re: Wake Air Show server crash...

No...

Comment

Working...
      X