Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone playing BF2 at hotels/airports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone playing BF2 at hotels/airports?

I am going to buy a gaming laptop, but one of my concerns is that it works either at hotels or at the airports(hotspots). I travel every week for work and want to game during my time away from the office. This leaves me to game at the hotels(primarily marriotts) or at the airport. Does anyone else game on the road? Any pitfalls or recommendations? Is latency a killer with those verizon cards?

Thanks
    -Will

Re: Is anyone playing BF2 at hotels/airports?

One of the pitfalls is battery life of a gaming laptop, it drains the battery pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Marksman_M95 View Post
      One of the pitfalls is battery life of a gaming laptop, it drains the battery pretty quickly.

That isn't to big of a concern as all of my gaming I will be connected to power whether I'm in the airport lounge or hotel.

Thanks, any more incite.
      -Will

Comment

Wireless connection right? Alot of people will say NO to it due to the constant lag and cutting-out. But if the singla is steadily strong, theres not much problems I find. I also travel and game, connected to power as well. So pretty much make sure your anti-virus is up to defending your PC from viruses, it's so easy to get one over wireless, that and hacking, but mostly viruses.

So I suggest getting a good firewall or anti-virus program to help ya out, and make sure the connection is good. Some hotels have wired connections though, that's what I would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDelta View Post
          Wireless connection right? Alot of people will say NO to it due to the constant lag and cutting-out. But if the singla is steadily strong, theres not much problems I find. I also travel and game, connected to power as well. So pretty much make sure your anti-virus is up to defending your PC from viruses, it's so easy to get one over wireless, that and hacking, but mostly viruses.

So I suggest getting a good firewall or anti-virus program to help ya out, and make sure the connection is good. Some hotels have wired connections though, that's what I would recommend.

Antivirus/firewall, not a problem. you game on the road as well? Do you use whatever wireless/wired connection is available at hotels, or do you use one of those verizon cards. How are hotels about there allowing of BF2 packets in/out of the network. Have you ran into many that block you or no?

Thanks
          -Will

Comment

I use whatever network is available, both wired and wireless. I work in Texas and my apartment is in College Station, but I work throughout the WHOLE state, so the company pays for my rooms.

Most hotels are ok to game on, I only had trouble with BF 2 once. But most games work fine, not too much lag if not alot of people are on the network all at once you know, it kind of runs like a LAN line that slows down if alot of people use up the bandwith. Although their connection speed is jizz worthy.

So yeah, not many problems. And about those cards: I ordered my Dell Inspiron 1521 with an AT&T Mobile Brodband for exactly this reason, but the monthly subscription didn't cut it for me. The connection cut out often and I rarely got a good enough signal to game with. I don't know about Verizon though, might be the network.

SO yeah, if you have any questions or concerns just contact me

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you have to game un-plugged and become worried about battery life, the mini-image thing can help alot, look at the post in the Support section, you'll see it. And what kind of lappy are you using? I find over-heating causes the most problems with laptops these days. So if you ever need a solution, buy a laptop cooling pad [like at Wal_Mart or something] it helps tremendously.

Comment

Before you buy your laptop make sure its gfx are supported by bf2, post the specs here if you're not sure................ nothing worse than buying a new comp and it doesn't run your favourite game....

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanDad View Post
                Before you buy your laptop make sure its gfx are supported by bf2, post the specs here if you're not sure................ nothing worse than buying a new comp and it doesn't run your favourite game....
                QFT.:salute:

Comment

The price! I hope your company are paying!

Comment

Yeah, I'm having my company pay for it. I am probably looking at about $1200 that they will fork in for. Any suggestions. I read about a Sager NP2090 that was supposed to be pretty good. Any thoughts???

Comment

I have a Dell Inspiron 1521, good sturdy reliable PC for under $1,000. 2.00 GHz AMD Processor, Radeon X1270 HyperMemory vid card [not the best but it handles BF 2 on medium], wireless card,15" screen.

I ordered it off the website, but it's strictly opinion. If you have more money, and want strictly a gaming lappy, the Dell XPS series are pretty good [though expensive for some higher-up models] or Alienware [if you have the money lol].

I would stay away from all those Toshiba or Aspen and shiza, to me their crappily made, don't work that great in the first place [had a Toshiba for a year and it crapped out tons of times, enough for me to pay $989 for my Dell] and just plain suck IMO.

SO if you're looking for a good lappy I suggest Dell from experience, though some may say otherwise, I've had two Dell lappy's and a desky and never had a problem, besides upgrading to keep up of course.

DO NOT GO FOR COMPAQ OR HP. I'm sorry, these suck so bad IMO. I have currently two Compaq PResario desky's, they are horrible. After my Dell finally gave out [mobo burnt or something after like 6-7 years lol] We got a Compaq and another one for my brother's room, and they're good....until you want to to play games and/or multi-task. Just not up to it.

Hope this helps, and link to the lappy you find, so we can give advice on what to get!

Comment

Dell FTW all the way .

Comment

Working...
                        X