Noob Ping Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Ping Questions

hi all, i recently got BF2 deluxe ed, and i find i get kicked from loads of servers by punkbuster beacause i have a high ping. Please tell me what this means, whether i should go into a server with a high or low ping listed in the server list, or tell me how to lower my ping.

Thanks Alex

Re: Noob Ping Questions

join s server with a low ping, less lagg.

Comment

the higher the ping the farther away the sever is from you. you want to make sure your playing the servers with the lowest pings, it always best to arrange the browser by ping.

Comment

What about the few servers that have 0 ping?

Comment

Don't even bother with those.

Comment

find a nice server near you and fav it straight away

Comment

OK thanks guys. I thought your ping depended on how fast your internet connection was

Comment

It does up to a point. You want a server with between 20 and 90 ping.

Comment

Fast internet will get you partway to a low ping, but if you're in the US and you're playing on a server in China sending that info halfway around the world still takes a certain amount of time which equates to a high ping.

Comment

Doing the tech work behind the scenes for a while at an ISP, I can get you all the dirt on ping times. Without getting into things such as DS3's, DSLAMs, SNR and TX and RX levels, it's good to have the lowest ping possible.

Broadband connections should get under 200ms ping times, preferably under 150ms and ideally under 100ms. Every inch of line your connection has to travel through to get to the server can potentially increase your ping time to that server.

Line quality is also important. If you have DSL, then you want to make sure you have filters on the other phone lines in the house. If you have cable, then you want to avoid running the modem line through a splitter. All wires should be in good condition, not frayed or kinked. If those are taken care of and you still have problems with pings on even some of the closest servers, then you need to call your ISP to have them test it as well.

If you have satellite, then think about buying a good single person game instead

Comment

Originally posted by Lerxstwannabe View Post
                      Doing the tech work behind the scenes for a while at an ISP, I can get you all the dirt on ping times. Without getting into things such as DS3's, DSLAMs, SNR and TX and RX levels, it's good to have the lowest ping possible.

Broadband connections should get under 200ms ping times, preferably under 150ms and ideally under 100ms. Every inch of line your connection has to travel through to get to the server can potentially increase your ping time to that server.

Line quality is also important. If you have DSL, then you want to make sure you have filters on the other phone lines in the house. If you have cable, then you want to avoid running the modem line through a splitter. All wires should be in good condition, not frayed or kinked. If those are taken care of and you still have problems with pings on even some of the closest servers, then you need to call your ISP to have them test it as well.

If you have satellite, then think about buying a good single person game instead

I think this answered your question

Comment

Originally posted by Lerxstwannabe View Post

You seem to forget it can also be an ISP-network related issue. Primarily buying cheap packages often leads you to sharing an over-populated node. Some nodes to which you are attached may have one too many hops before you actually reach a global or continental pipeline.

Simply, make sure your ISP provides quality over quantity. ISP's dont tell you straight up that your sharing a connection with x-number of people in your area. Granted not everyone has 300 bucks to spend on a dedicated line, an 80 dollar package which offers better quality of service over a flashy 20 dollar package with all the nicks and nacks, is a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
                          It does up to a point. You want a server with between 20 and 90 ping.
                          What's wrong with lower than that

I love it when I get like 15 ping... shoot those J10 pilots right outta their cockpit

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd View Post
                            Fast internet will get you partway to a low ping, but if you're in the US and you're playing on a server in China sending that info halfway around the world still takes a certain amount of time which equates to a high ping.
                            Try a player shooting another from the same area, on a server half way around the world...

Sometimes client lag seems like nothing :P

Comment

Just a simple measure to take off about 10-30% off your ping. Contact your ISP and ask them to disable "errorcheck" on your account. Worked miracles for me. 200 to 130 and 250 to 170 on my favourite servers.

Comment

Working...
                              X