Defending Flags and Squads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending Flags and Squads

1. DEFENSE - I wish more people would defend flags. You would be suprised how effective just ONE defender can be in BF2 because no one expects a defender anymore. It's cap and run, cap and run... The only defense you expect is clays on infantry maps and mines on tank maps. :shakehead:
    One defender obviously cannot hold off a squad but you can delay them, spot and call for assist. If you can hold for reinforcement you have won.

2. SQUADS - Why do people join a squad and then wander off and do their own thing? It's so lame to look at your full squad which should be rolling up caps but instead you have green dots spread all over the map! :shakehead: If you want to do your own thing that is fine, just don't squad up!

Re: Defending Flags and Squads

Well ive found that if your defending a flag and someone comes and you tell people theyre usually too busy doing their own thing...also sometimes people just join squads so they can spawn at the important points where theyre leader is

Comment

Join a clan?

Comment

You might enjoy Project Reality in its current release - not a plug but complete strangers actually do play 'tactically' and as a team, as well as dig in and properly defend objectives. It's a beautiful sight.

Comment

That's because modern people lack patience. A real hunter is patient and vise. Cattle is running by the streets, hunter just lets prey come to him.

Defending is fun and rewarding. From time to time, I play like that. A squad of AT's at Dragon Valleys Refinery can prevent all except massive infantry attack.

Comment

Originally posted by ACE_FIN1972
            That's because modern people lack patience. A real hunter is patient and vise. Cattle is running by the streets, hunter just lets prey come to him.

Defending is fun and rewarding. From time to time, I play like that. A squad of AT's at Dragon Valleys Refinery can prevent all except massive infantry attack.
            Excellent points. Lately instead of heading toward the next cap, I will run to the our closest flag to the enemy and wait. Trust me, you won't wait long. Don't sit on the flag in a tank, lay low preferably out of UAV range and on infantry maps stay off the flag so you can live through the 12 nade barrage coming.

Comment

It can be hard to keep eveyone together that are not on VOIP. If after a few suggestions to "Spawn with Me" I don't get any action, then they're out of the squad. But sometimes a more useful approach is to swap squad leaders to move the spawn point to a better location (If the other green dots are getting to places you aren't). It's harder now taht you can't join a squad when dead, but it can be used effectively by good squad guys. You do find that you spend a fair amount of time educating squad mates (DOH!).

If you have a good commander, then you need not wait around for someone to happen by. You should already have some sense of which flags are vulnerable, and where attackers are likely to come from, so forget waiting around a base you already have (If you choose to play defense, then you are giving the initiative to the enemy, and will be doomed to playing defense [and losing]) Instead, move through the likely approaches to the threatened flags, and clear the threats spotetd by the commander, and along likely paths to the exposed flags. (If you've flown for a while with poor commanders, then you are already used to doing this, and simply need to adapt it to ground tactics.)

Comment

Some do defend, i've seen it,not many though. I think it depends alot on the server, & obvious how the teamwork is going, cmndr all piece's of a puzzle that need to work together & when it dont work ya get chaios.
                im guilty, i usually join a squad & do my own thing cause the squad isnt giving orders & is all over he mapp.

Comment

interesting thread.. I actually had to defend the other day. it was a Karkand IO match and the squad I was in was moving to the market or somewhere that way and the enemy also had the suburbs. I knew they would be coming from that way so I waited and sure enough a couple guys came and I held them off a few times by myself and eventually a teammate spawned at the hotel with me and we continued to hold them off until my squad went for the suburbs. It was rewarding. I actually do that a lot, where I'll wait at a high priority flag and defend off the enemy or try to. Full squads are almost impossible to stop though.

Comment

The problem is if you're defending a flag by yourself, you can easily say it's suicide if a commander doesn't put down some supplies. Once a squad comes up to the flag you're defending, you just fire, reload, fire, reload. Then once the next wave of enemies come, you have no ammo left because enemies just keep coming towards the flag no matter what, eventually overrunning the flag.

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard84 View Post
                      interesting thread.. I actually had to defend the other day. it was a Karkand IO match and the squad I was in was moving to the market or somewhere that way and the enemy also had the suburbs...
                      If you are going to defend Square by yourself, try this:

along the outside of the wall by the fixed machine gun, jump up on the bin next to it, then jump up on the wall. Lay down and hide under the boughs of the tree. You can pistol a whole squad, and they may never see you...

If you are going to defend the road below Suburbs by yourself, try this:

Drive a car up to near the top of the road, and park under a building sign. Jump on the car, then jump on the sign, then jump on the roof. Blow up the car so nobody sees it. You should be able to see all of the road and rake in the kills.

If you are going to defend Hotel by yourself, try this:

Go into the building on the square wher you can get on the roof. Once on the roof, jump from the railing to the building overlooking hotel. You can see all the approaches to Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by SunTsoo View Post
                        If you are going to defend Square by yourself, try this:

along the outside of the wall by the fixed machine gun, jump up on the bin next to it, then jump up on the wall. Lay down and hide under the boughs of the tree. You can pistol a whole squad, and they may never see you...
                        That is great, I'll have to try that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefthawk View Post
                          1. DEFENSE - I wish more people would defend flags. You would be suprised how effective just ONE defender can be in BF2 because no one expects a defender anymore. It's cap and run, cap and run... The only defense you expect is clays on infantry maps and mines on tank maps. :shakehead:
                          One defender obviously cannot hold off a squad but you can delay them, spot and call for assist. If you can hold for reinforcement you have won.

2. SQUADS - Why do people join a squad and then wander off and do their own thing? It's so lame to look at your full squad which should be rolling up caps but instead you have green dots spread all over the map! :shakehead: If you want to do your own thing that is fine, just don't squad up!
                          Another thing DICE failed to forsee.

I agree with the squad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
                            You might enjoy Project Reality in its current release - not a plug but complete strangers actually do play 'tactically' and as a team, as well as dig in and properly defend objectives. It's a beautiful sight.
                            Yup in my experience this is spot on. Playing alot of the mods (PR and POE2 mainly) you get people that want to play as a squad. There are some servers (ive seen for poe2) that give you 60 seconds to join a squad or else you automatically get kicked (commanders obviously have the exception)
                            Saw this on the tacticalgamer server.

Generally people that play the mods have gone through the bother of downloading the mod/setting it up etc they are the sort of people that want to play bf2 tactically. So i would advise trying a few.

Comment

Originally posted by paullikescrisps
                              Yup in my experience this is spot on. Playing alot of the mods (PR and POE2 mainly) you get people that want to play as a squad. There are some servers (ive seen for poe2) that give you 60 seconds to join a squad or else you automatically get kicked (commanders obviously have the exception)
                              Saw this on the tacticalgamer server.

Generally people that play the mods have gone through the bother of downloading the mod/setting it up etc they are the sort of people that want to play bf2 tactically. So i would advise trying a few.
                              Thanks, I might give that mod a try. I played Forgotten Hope quite a bit in the past and I can't wait for FH2.

Comment

Working...
                              X