Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded to Vista *sigh* lag now - am I lacking RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded to Vista *sigh* lag now - am I lacking RAM?

Hi!

Firstly here are my PC specs:
    E6600 C2D @ Stock 2.4Ghz
    2GB Corsair XMS2 Pro 4-4-4-12 RAM
    BFG 8800 GTS 640MB

Running BF2 all high 4xAA at 1920x1200.

I was previously running XP 32bit and it was really nice, I got huge FPS drop when flashed and when flying a plane high then coming down fast (like birds eye view of the map) but apart from that no problemo.

I upgraded to Vista 64bit Ultimate Edition (initialy I had duel boot just wanted to see what it was like) I liked what I saw and so have bitten the bullet and gone Vista so I can start getting used to the new OS before the DX10 games come out.

Now in most maps im getting nasty lag.... Its not really bad FPS its more "jolting" like mini pauses all the time. Is this a lack of RAM? Task manager says its using 80% RAM when im in game (BF2 is using 950MB :O!!).

Am I *SERIOUSLY* lacking RAM now with 2GB? Is it time to upgrade to 4GB? Jeesh!

EDIT: To other Vista users running similar gfx settings to me how much RAM do you have?
    EDIT2: Will overclocking CPU make ANY noticable difference to the game performance - and what type of difference? Eg faster load time or better FPS...?

Re: Upgraded to Vista *sigh* lag now - am I lacking RAM?

Press alt+tab during your game and then comeback to game again. See if that makes a difference. I know that there are few issues with 8800GTS's.

Comment

how'd you get BF2 to work on your vista for some reason i get this damn annoying error.. please ensure that the disc 2 is in the drive if then so please click ok to restart.. i got that same error msg for vista and for my roommates xp pro laptop...

Comment

No it makes no difference.

Is 80% memory usage while gaming high?

Maybe you have a damaged disk Techniq

Comment

The "mini-pauses" are a Vista thing. Make sure you've updated all your drivers, windows update as well. Cut down as many services as possible (start => run => services.msc), kill as many background processes as possible (On XP, up to 30 processes is typically good, Vista = up to 40).

BF2 will use from 800MB-1000MB on those settings, it seems to vary a lot. Either way, you don't get this stuttering on XP. It might be a memory issue (loads of paging in the background, for instance) but 2GB should be more than enough.

For stuttering, it's generally a memory/sound problem. Do you have a discrete sound card? Set sound to hardware mode if possible. Move your page file to a different PHYSICAL hard drive, and if it still isn't fixed, try disabling the Superfetch service (only as last resort, this is actually one of the major plus points of Vista).

Try singleplayer and multiplayer also. If it happens only on multiplayer, it means it's a network issue, and you need to tweak and update drivers pertaining to that. I don't know, I did those fixes and something made it disappear completely (Superfetch is enabled though). At one point I had performance matching XP, sans possibly 2-3fps.

Also, see if you have your internet speed set to T1/LAN in BF2, if it is, try setting it to 256K. Failing all of that, just go back to XP on dual boot and wait for SP1.

Comment

its a memory issue.. its how Vista uses it.

use updated video drivers.. there are beta's released yesterday on nzone.com

also use the hot fixes most recently out and kill anything else off that might be using ram.

Till Vista releases a fix to help lower the amount of ram it uses even sitting on desktop idle we will see this issue over and over.

Comment

^ Where are the release notes? Have they fixed the 8800 memory leak?

Comment

Working...
              X