Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista page file idea

Background:
    The page file is space on your HDD where the system can access memory locations as if it were RAM, although it is a lot slower than solid-state memory. With more RAM, you usually need less page file space. The standard page file drive is your C: drive.

The idea:
    I was playing around with tweaking my system today and tried a random thing. I have 2 SATA-300 HDDs (not in RAID), one for the OS and installed programs, the other for music, software backups, and other mass storage. Both are quality 7200 rpm models with 16MB caches. What I did was set the page file to my secondary HDD. The reasoning behind this is that the software (BF2 for example) is accessing the main C: HDD while the game is loading, PB checks, whatever. That means that it has to queue these operations in with the page file accesses. By setting the page file to the second HDD, the system has full unimpeded access of the C: drive while the program is running and the system is using the otherwise unused secondary D: drive for paging operations.

It seemed to eliminate the first-load stutter that would normally last 4-5 seconds when joining a map.

Discuss and share your thoughts. Bad idea? Sound theory?

Re: Vista page file idea

It seems like it would work, as long as the game was being read and executed from the first HDD [if thats the one you're running it on]. that's obvious of course, other than that i see no problems..

Comment

Comment

It's a known trick.

Comment

Well there ya go. Guess it does work.

Comment

Working...
          X