Clear All

• Vista Performance

So I just got a new computer 2 days ago. The specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ 2.11ghz
    1GB Ram
    Windows Vista Home Edition
    Geforce 8600GT 256mb
    250GB SATA HDD 7200

I can play with all everything on high, and AA 8x, but when I load a map for the first time, I lag a lot. It lags for almost a whole round. After a couple rounds (I only play on 24/7 servers), it starts to settle down and the FPS goes back up to 60 - 80. Why does it take so long to settle down? Is it because I only have 1GB of RAM? Or, since the computer is brand new, Vista is still settling in?

Maps also load slower on my new copmputer compared to my old one, which was a pentium 4, 756mb RAM, geforce 5200, windows XP.

I know Vista is a memory hog, so what would be better? Downgrade to WindowsXP, and keep the 1GB of RAM, or keep Vista and get another GB of RAM?

Re: Vista Performance

You definitely need another gig of ram whatever you do, it will make a big difference in bf

Comment

vista doesnt really need to "settle in", its most likely the the lack of memory and would be a smart move to pick up another gig. for me it made a world of difference on xp, on vista it still lags even with 3.
      i hate vista, its nothing but trouble. after 5 min of being logged on, my computer just restarts...i dont know if its a capability issue or not but its really pissing me off. luckily i have xp on my other HD so i dont need to get too stressed out.

Comment

Vista does need to "settle in", the Superfetch service takes time to monitor your behaviour/loaded apps, after that BF2 will preload a hell of a lot faster.

Lower your Texture/Lighting settings to medium (lighting especially), 1GB isn't good enough, BF2 takes 900MB when everything is on high.

Comment

I'll get another GB of RAM then. How long does it take Vista to settle in?

Right now I have everything on medium, but it takes 5 - 10 minutes for the FPS to go back up whenever I play on big maps like Highway Tampa.

Which has better performance while playing BF2? Vista + 2GB of RAM, or XP + 2GB of RAM?

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike
            Vista does need to "settle in"
            for me it settled into a nightmare then
            Originally posted by Tomeis
            Which has better performance while playing BF2? Vista + 2GB of RAM, or XP + 2GB of RAM?
            undoubtedly 2GB of ram + xp

Comment

Originally posted by DarkDayz
              for me it settled into a nightmare then

undoubtedly 2GB of ram + xp
              You're trying to play a beta game on a beta OS, are you expecting something more?

Comment

definately lower textures to medium. the game still looks decent with med textures

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
                  You're trying to play a beta game on a beta OS, are you expecting something more?
                  lol ya i guess your right.

Comment

Working...
                  X