hmm....bf2 won't work on my laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm....bf2 won't work on my laptop

hi, i just bought a new laptop for school and was hoping to also play bf2 on it. It installed fine, but when i tried to run it, the screen turned black like it was going to run but then it just went back to my desktop. I checked the easyinfo and it says everything passed except for my operating system which is vista. I've done a little research, and i guess people were able to run bf2 with vista.

My laptop is a Toshiba A205-S4567

Specs: (copied from toshiba site)

CPU and Memory Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Class Core Duo
    Processor Speed 1.86 GHz
    Mobile Technology Intel Centrino Duo
    Installed Memory 1 GB
    Memory Technology DDR II SDRAM
    Cache Size 2 MB
    Storage Hard Drive Capacity 120 GB
    Included Drives DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    CD Write Speed 24 X
    CD Rewrite Speed 10 X
    CD Read Speed 24 X
    DVD Read Speed 8 X
    DVD Write Speed 8x (DVD±R), 4x (DVD±R DL)
    Display and Graphics Display Type TFT active matrix
    Graphics Processor Intel GMA 950
    Resolution 1280 x 800 pixels
    Battery Battery Type Lithium ion
    Communications and Networking Modem Speed 56 Kbps
    Network Support Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g
    Software Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home

Re: hmm....bf2 won't work on my laptop

you cant run BF2 on an intel GFX card :/

Comment

Originally posted by EBK-BOLO
      Graphics Processor Intel GMA 950
      That's your problem. You can't run BF2 with integrated graphics chipsets, and actually you shouldn't be able to play a bunch of other games too. To play bf2 you need a geforce or radeon card but as you have a laptop, I'm afraid to say you're basically screwed....

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanDad
        That's your problem. You can't run BF2 with integrated graphics chipsets, and actually you shouldn't be able to play a bunch of other games too. To play bf2 you need a geforce or radeon card but as you have a laptop, I'm afraid to say you're basically screwed....
        To play Battlefield 2/2124 and most games nowdays you need a DEDICATED graphics card.

Shame you bought a laptop :/

Comment

meh that's alright, atleast i know what the problem is. I just bought this laptop for school, so it's all good. It's not gonna kill me, but damn it would have been fun though.

thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by HeatFlare View Post
            To play Battlefield 2/2124 and most games nowdays you need a DEDICATED graphics card.

Shame you bought a laptop :/
            Actually there are many laptops that can play BF2 fine. Even integrated graphics can be good enough to play at low settings. The key is NO INTEL. Do not get Intel graphics if you have any intention of playing games released in the last 2-3 years. The newer x3100 is much better than the 950 but I'd still avoid it if possible.

Comment

but i think if u tweaked some stuff, u can play 2142 fine with that gma card

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus View Post
                but i think if u tweaked some stuff, u can play 2142 fine with that gma card
                Yes, I've heard that 2142 does work with it where BF2 doesn't. I don't know if performance would be acceptable though.

Comment

Your going to need at least a dedicated card to play modern gams on a laptop.

The GMA 950 won't cut it.

And do not give him false hope about 2142 running because if by the slightest chance you get it to work, it by no means will be playable.

Comment

i'll just stick to playing it on my pc. It's all good. I'm actually gonna but a newer pc later so i can load more modern games in it. Right now I'm running minimum requirements. I didn't really have any intentions of using this laptop for any sort of gaming except probably for the ones it has in it like chess, chess is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanDad
                      WTF are you talking about? My Dell Inspiron 1521 Laptop has a Radeon x1270 vid card. It's very not impossible...:|:

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDelta View Post
                        WTF are you talking about? My Dell Inspiron 1521 Laptop has a Radeon x1270 vid card. It's very not impossible...:|:
                        As I said earlier, integrated video isn't the problem; Intel 950 is the problem.

Comment

Aahh....touche' i thought you meant you can't have a NVidia or ATI vid card at all...heh...my bad!

Comment

Ok, i've got an x3100 card, and i can say it's ok.
                            i can play hellgate london with max specs, and dugeon siege2 in medium high specs.

but i can't play CoD4 due a DirectX error.
                            I can't say which error because comes out right before the first playing map, in the barracs.

So, i can't play CoD4 until they come out with a fix for this, i've got the latest drivers for my card.

Comment

Originally posted by andur View Post
                              Ok, i've got an x3100 card, and i can say it's ok.
                              i can play hellgate london with max specs, and dugeon siege2 in medium high specs.

but i can't play CoD4 due a DirectX error.
                              I can't say which error because comes out right before the first playing map, in the barracs.

So, i can't play CoD4 until they come out with a fix for this, i've got the latest drivers for my card.
                              I have a Thinkpad X61 with the x3100. BF2 works OK on an external monitor but not on the internal; I suspect it's because of the 50Hz refresh. Most other games (BF1942, UT2004, UT3 demo) can handle it but not BF2.

Comment

Working...
                              X