Idea For Supporting The Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea For Supporting The Mods

I had originally posted this in the server owners lounge, however I decided to move it here so that more gamers that supported the mods could read it if they wanted. I would sincerely appreciate hearing your feedback and suggestions on the possibility of trying something like this to help support the mods and the gamers that enjoy playing them.

What I am going to suggest here will require an open mind and a willingness on your part to support the mods for the community and the gamers that enjoy playing the mods so that we all have good populated mod servers to game on.

From what I have seen most of us that are active here on the forums have fairly successful ranked servers that we host for the community so that is not an issue, however based on what I have been reading on the forums in the past few months is that we are all pretty much facing the same problem when it come to keeping our mod servers populated on a regular basis. The mod servers that do seem to fair well for an extended period after a new release are usually limited to the ones that are populated regular by the clan members that are hosting it or the servers that illegally display the ranked icon but that is being addressed in another thread so enough on that subject.

What I would like to see happen is a kind of partnership agreement between a few of us server owners and clan leaders that are active in supporting and playing the mods. My idea is basically this, we get a few of us together and we each decide on 1 or 2 mods that we want to host for the community. Each individual community would agree on which mods they were going to host so that no 2- communities were hosting competing mods. Each community/clan would be limited to hosting no more than 2- different types of mods, however there would be no limit on the number of servers being hosted i.e. if your clan is hosting say DCON & PR you could host multiple servers for each mod respectively.

The next part of this agreement would involve the cross promotion of each others mod servers on your respective websites and forums for the different clans mods servers that are participating in the agreement. Basically what this would entail is a section on your site and or forums that would help promote the server that are participating in the mod server network and hopefully this will help drive more player and forum traffic to all of us which is what we all trying to do already. The only difference here is that we are working to support another’s server for the overall good of the mod community.

There would be no requirement for allowing cross administration between the servers and each clan would be permitted to make their own rules as they see fit, however we would all need to agree on a general code of conduct to help insure that no matter which serve they are playing on that they get treated fairly and with respect.

With that said there are many other specific details that I am sure some of you may have questions or comment on concerning doing something like this so before you start saying this will never work or I am not going to promote another clans server, think about this. For the most part all of us are struggling to keep our mod servers populated so if we all agree in advance on which mods we are each going to host so that we are not competing for the same player traffic. If you think about how many of you have small business associations in your community? Well it’s kind of like that, a bunch of individual business owners supporting each other for the good of the community as a whole.

Another thing is that this does not need to be a complicated time consuming arrangement since all we need to do is decide on who wants to participate, which mod server or servers each of us is going to host. Then we need to decide on how we will cross promote for each other so that it’s fair for all participants involved and then come up with an agreeable basic code of conduct.

Anyway I think I have made my basic point here so now I want to hear back from you guys if you’re interested so that we can discuss any ideas or questions you may have. Please take the time to think about the potential benefit to all of us that host and support the mods before you consider if you wish to participate in something like this. If there is enough serious interest then we can proceed with more detailed discussions on how to proceed, however I think the sooner we decide the sooner it will begin to benefit us all.

Thanks- Mitch

Re: Idea For Supporting The Mods

it´s an intersting idea. but nos so easys. to many BF2-player stillonly hunting for points. ord don´t know that you can get mods!

30,000 BF2 Player onlen, and 1000 player for all mods. sad but true. :shakehead:

OPK stillsearching some US-Serverowners for their next release. :salute:

Comment

it is a wonderful idea but like oasis said allot of people dont even know about mods or are must have their vanilla points fix. i think we really need to get on EA's butt about the mod spotlight popup window they had promised the mod teams over a year and a half ago if we truly want to make a difference and draw more mod players. i think if enough of us relentlessly hound them maybe, just maybe, they will have a moral dilemma and realize they should follow through with their empty and broken promise of giving that popup to the mod teams rather than whore out 2142 or tampa.

if we could get that little popup window that shows up when you load bf2 to display a different mod each week we would have 20x the playerbase for all the mods if not even more. EA had promised the that popup along time ago and they did actually give it to operation peace keeper for about a week and it absolutely sent their playerbase through the roof for that week and i think it scared the sh!t out of EA, mods players are not continuous income to them so they really dont want that many people playing mods and i think when they saw the large amount of people responding to that opk popup and playing it they very quickly slammed the door on that idea and have ignored every inquiry as to why. i have asked ask more than one dice employee publicly about it and they absolutely ignored my questions like the plague.

Comment

I'm not a server owner myself but I believe both these ideas are great. I suggest some sort of petition is started that asks for the Mod spotlight. I'm certain that all the mod teams would sign it, as would the server owners and players of the mods. You'd certainly be able to get a large amount of names down. I believe that would be the best chance we'd have of getting the Mod Spotlight that was promised to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Osis View Post
          OPK stillsearching some US-Serverowners for their next release. :salute:
          I've offered to host a server my dedicated box to the OPK team in the past, but they had no interest in it. Maybe after the release, I'll put up a server for OPK.

Comment

Originally posted by [SFA]Bigboom View Post
            I'm not a server owner myself but I believe both these ideas are great. I suggest some sort of petition is started that asks for the Mod spotlight. I'm certain that all the mod teams would sign it, as would the server owners and players of the mods. You'd certainly be able to get a large amount of names down. I believe that would be the best chance we'd have of getting the Mod Spotlight that was promised to us.
            I have been working on some ideas on how to do this but I have been real busy the past few days so I have not had much time to focus on this, however I will try to get something posted by the end of this week.

I know scheduling and time difference would make meeting with everyone that is interested in doing this next to impossible, however if you are hosting mod servers for the community and wish to be involved send me a PM with your clan or community mod server information so I can add you to the list I am starting that way we can discuss this in private and eliminate clutter from the folks that are commenting and not truly interested in giving this a try.

Just so you guys know I would still like to see input from all the mods fans even if you do not host servers, it’s just that I would like to keep specifics separate from general comments and suggestions from gamers if that makes any sense.

Mitch

Comment

I really think a petition towards EA/ DICE is in place.
              Make them know that the mod-community and other fans are not happy about their total lack of intrest to support the mods.
              So if anyone is willing to start a petition, I will gladly sign and spread the word...

Comment

Yeah, the only way anything will happen is if EA decides to help out a little. They need to either advertise the mods with their own ranking system, or add them to the official ranking system.

Comment

Originally posted by [BF2C]Dronetek View Post
                  Yeah, the only way anything will happen is if EA decides to help out a little. They need to either advertise the mods with their own ranking system, or add them to the official ranking system.
                  can't be done and won't stand for it to be done.... the ranking crap kills teamwork and the files are accessable by server owners so EA wouldn't trust people or spend a little extra cash to monitor the flow of stats to their reporting servers

Comment

Originally posted by sava700
                    can't be done and won't stand for it to be done.... the ranking crap kills teamwork and the files are accessable by server owners so EA wouldn't trust people or spend a little extra cash to monitor the flow of stats to their reporting servers
                    agreed, I'd rather have 1 server filled with quality players then 100 servers filled with stat whores....

Comment

Originally posted by zuiquan1 View Post
                      agreed, I'd rather have 1 server filled with quality players then 100 servers filled with stat whores....

Ok well, I hope you like single player!

Comment

Originally posted by [BF2C]Dronetek View Post
                        Ok well, I hope you like single player!
                        plenty of "Quality Players" that don't care about stats and would rather just play the game for fun. The stat crap is what ruined the chances for Mods for BF2 to really take off.. Prime example is the original DC with 1942.. people didn't have stupid stats to fool with so they gladly moved over to a better game/mod.

Comment

main problem is atm that we can´t get in contact with 75% of all player. 2000 member here and 2000 active member on one german page...

who get in contact... Talked in leipzig at the GC about the "message from EA" window with some EA-guys... difficult to get announced there but not hopeless...

Comment

Originally posted by sava700
                            plenty of "Quality Players" that don't care about stats and would rather just play the game for fun. The stat crap is what ruined the chances for Mods for BF2 to really take off.. Prime example is the original DC with 1942.. people didn't have stupid stats to fool with so they gladly moved over to a better game/mod.
                            Yeah I know, isn't that what I said? My point is that there wont be anyone playing because so many of the community only care about the stats.

1 server, quality player or not cannot carry a mod. Unless its forgotten hope we're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                            X