Is Battlefield 2 a "messy" game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Battlefield 2 a "messy" game?

Theres a LAN party coming out on 28th. I just got my laptop (heh, remember talking about the subject with Sloi and picked damn long before getting one that suited my gaming needs.), so Im going. Around these parts its pretty much going to be 24 hours of CS1.6, with a touch of WarCraft, maybe StarCraft and them some miscellaneous stuff like the latest NFS games.

Im going in mainly to get a game of BF2 going. Anyway, Im socializing with a lot of people who play Counter Strike and many of them go to the LAN event aswell. Upon talking about BF2 and its possible match there (hell, even for the kicks of it), they said that the game itsself is "bad" because its fairly "loose, disorganized and god damn messy". Had a few of my buds come over and I flew them around a little in the Demo to give them a push to buying the game. They were all rather disliking the game for the similar reasons.

So the question at hand and the topic for discussion- is Battlefield 2 too much of a mess of a game (gameplay wise) and can it be blamed for not being more popular by taking (for example) CS players away from their homeground?

Re: Is Battlefield 2 a "messy" game?

What exactly do they mean by "messy"? BF2's close combat is extremely unpolished and glitchy/buggy compared to say, CS, and it feels "messy" like that, not to mention the crappy weapon physics. It feels even worse at high ping.

CS has been around for so long that it's polished beyond mirrorlike.

Comment

It has to do with the open gamestyle, more than the bugs. If you play CS, you can can macro your character to do stuff for up to a minute at least and survive, in any map. Theres a system for every encounter, every corner, every alley.

You take BF2, and I remember my first playing weeks, and you dont really know what the hell youre supposed to be doing in the first place.

Comment

In other words, they're used to strictly linear, almost scripted bot-like gameplay (come on, CS...), and they get a shock when they find BF2 is dynamic?

I think it's just the amount of potential paths you can take through a game, in CS and others it's what, walk to the double doors, plant the bomb, blah blah blah...

Comment

Beh, BF2 is superior to CS in my mind. They're just more or less affraid to try something new that they will end up sucking at. They obviously know you'd waste em if you set up a round. Think of how many kills you'd get...okay wipe the drool from your mouth. lol

Comment

Maybe the problem with BF2 is EA. EA seemed to never care about BF2 for more than a year after its release (Financial reasons and share holders demanding immediate profit?). Usually the games that live and shine are the ones that receive support for a very long time (Starcraft?!).

I do not blame someone who plays RTS games when he/she dislikes BF2. I am in Company of Heroes now and I though I should swing to BF2 forums and see how things are going and that is it. Coming back to BF2 is almost impossible especially when I see that EA never bothered about patching the game for such a long time. Basically they did not improve the game a bit for more than a year. Do not tell me there are not any issues with the game!

I am wondering if bunny hopping and the J10 are still an issue.

Comment

Holy S! Ducks! Your threads are still pinned, so youre back or just passing through. Looking in a massohistic way, that nothing has changed? :P

And yeah, I guess youre right camper. I mean, you can rarely switch your brain off in BF2...

Comment

lool Chris! I am just passing! Yeah I miss those arguing days! I am actually surprised you are still around and faithful to this game! good for you! Your wife must be happy to have such a faithful man!

You can definitely switch your brain off while playing BF2. I used to go to the bathroom or even have a dinner during a game. You cannot do that in an RTS for sure

Looking in a massohistic way, that nothing has changed?
                That is right! which means EA does not care about the game anymore.

Still I had some good moments with BF2. It is definitely one of the best games I ever played. A lot of good/better stuff came out since then though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
                  I mean, you can rarely switch your brain off in BF2...

De_Dust3... Uh, sorry, Karkand IO

Comment

Ive played HL based games since it was first released in 1998 and one thing I can tell you is never EVER listen to a CS player's opinion on competitive play. They are very narrow minded. If its not CS then its not right for competitive play.

Comment

One more thing I want to add:
                      Cheating is still an issue in BF2 online games. The issue is not that severe in many other games. I wish that EA did not rely heavily on BunkBuster, just one more reason why the game can be messy.

Comment

Originally posted by [DUCKS]Black_Duck_1 View Post
                        lool Chris! I am just passing! Yeah I miss those arguing days! I am actually surprised you are still around and faithful to this game! good for you! Your wife must be happy to have such a faithful man!
                        Lucky for me I dont have a wife, not yet anyway. It wouldnt be too good of an idea to tell my girl that I like playing videogames either, she has a whole lot of different interests than me.

Im not faithful. Heres a quote from Chris Rock, describing my situation-

"A man is basically as faithful, as are his options."

:laugh:

Camper, I always get mauled in Karkand when I play with my brain switched off, the only place where I can do that, is in air. Guess why I like that aspect that much.

Good point Boxer.

Meh, anyway. Ill be looking at that LAN party as a chance to drink energy drinks non stop for 24 hours and bust my fingers off trying to scratch that rust off my CS skills then...

Comment

CS players are morons imo. It's a very linear, run and gun game. It is also more fast paced. BF2 requires a different kind of skill. It's more realistic than CS (not actually realistic, just more than CS is).

Comment

the CS players just ***** because BF2 takes skill and they can't use their pro l33t skills to win in it

Comment

Day of Defeat!

I can hardly stand CS anymore, it was good way back, but nowadays it's like playing Tetris.

Comment

Working...
                              X